Excessive Burping

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have suffered with acid reflux for the past three months . Doctors kept prescribing ppi's which failed to stop the burping . I burp when I drink water , upon waking , before and after eating . It is quite distressing . Visited a gastroenterologist who gave me the whole speech on swallowing air and just said to say excuse me after I burp . Went for a second opinion and he said sounds like a hiatial hernia . Has anyone had anything similar and did u get cured . Can a hiatial hernia be treated without surgery .

Why is this so difficult to diagnose ? I jus want to be normal again . sad It is really terrible living with this .

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had the utterly rediculous line from my surgeon post op of needing to learn to stop swallowing air. As if burping and farting constantly (every few minutes) could be due to swallowing that much air! 

I would hate to make any guesses to your situation,but I wish you all the best smile 

• Posted

Hopefully you find the answer with the barium swallow, if not maybe the endoscope might be worthwhile doing - it's over before you know it and you are out to it.

• Posted

Sara, nope you are not alone. I have the same thing to a severe level. I was diagnosed with, Gerd, acud reflux, hiatial hernie, barretts esophagus (pre cancer) and have not found any relief. I feel bloated with air upon everything I do. Change my entire eating habit, that did nothing, quit smoking, stope drinking sodas, stopped eating gluten, exercise an hr a day drink plenty of water and literally still gets worse. I lay down I feel Im going to choke, I sit up still the same...they gave me every over the counter, when that didnt work they gave me dexilant which is suppose to help alot, well nope that didnt work either. I suffer everyday to the degree Im miserable. I considered nissen surgery but the recovery length and diet is to severe for me at my age, with 3 kids and work, I cant just take 4 months off to have surgery and recover on a liquid diet. I heard stories for 2 friends that did it in their late 20's and they said the suffering for literally 2-3 yrs was worse. So I cancelled my Nissen surgery. I am looking into Stretta but your hiatial hernia has to be smaller than 3cm to even 60% work...theres no guarantee. I agree I just want to be normal too. I dont feel as bad knowing Im not losing my mind and other do have this same thing. Every dr I see tells me the same sumb stuff too...you swallow to much air, you eat to fast, drink more water, get more exercise. They have NO IDEA what we go through or why. I am sorry I have no helpful insight for you but I wanted you to know you are not alone. Keep researching eventually one of us suffereres will find the exact cure and share with the rest of us. I wish you luck!

C

• Posted

Hi Hazileyes , yes no one really understands what we go through . If surgery is an option I will have to consider it because I can't imagine living with this condition all my life . What exactly did your friends say about their nissen .

• Posted

Well my aunt I found had it done at the age of 32, she said the worst idea ever, she is now 68 and said it not only took 3 years for her to fully recover but still bad symptoms worse than before surgery. Today she said she has dull throat pain that never goes away, she still cant eat bread, cereals, pastas, drink dark drinks or eat any kind of nuts.

My friends had similar scenerios, of course the ages are different. One has noted no more acid redlux but still has severe burping up foam. It just doesnt sound promising. Stretta is a thought. Do a little research on Stretta, it may be worth your while too

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your problem Sara. .my case is more severe then you i am 30 years old male 6 years ago i have done gall bladder surgery after that i have on and off problem of burps etc but from lsst 4 years i have severe burps problem all day i burp and feel heavy in my left side chest feel like my heart stop beating any time and as well as in digestion to.....i have done endoscopy 3 months ago didnot show any thing and one month ago colonscopy which was also normal......got confused few days back i eat spicy food and in night time i feel like my breathe stop and i burp alot. By which i understand its anxoety panic attavk but it almost kill me next day go to cardiologist in which ecgs catch my heart slow beat now i have holter ecg test for one day if that is clear is thinking about nissen funoplication or linx surgery bco it give lot of pain to me NB it ruined my life where ever i go i have panic attack with lot of burps i burps on daily basis thousand times linx or nissen is the last option sara
    • Posted

Thank you for sharing . I hope u find relief . I am getting mixed reviews on the nissen surgery . Some ppl say it is safe and effective while another set say they regret it .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.