Excessive burping, Upper side pain, Felling intoxicated

Posted , 5 users are following.

23 year old male, no prior health issues.

About 3 weeks ago I began to notice uncomfortable sensations and excessive burping immediately after I smoked (marijuana). About a week into the symptoms I **completely ceased smoking and have still been experiencing these issues on a daily basis. **

For the past 2 weeks I have had the same come and go pain in my upper right side, at the bottom of my ribcage. Still accompanying this pain, is the excessive burping ( I Never drink soda or alcohol) as well as this feeling of being intoxicated (time dilation, head rush, and movie theater vision). My diet has not changed in any dramatic fashion either.

I have found that actually getting the burps up and out tends to ease these sensations and that the sensations now mostly occur/worsen after I eat and/or sit down for extended periods.

Diarrhea has started up as of a week ago and while unpleasant is tolerable. I am mostly concerned about this unwanted feeling of intoxication that is prompting slight headaches and some nausea. Again, I have completely quit all marijuana intake for some time so please do not write this off as some reaction to that usage. I have noticed I burp a lot more whenever I am experiencing this intoxicated feeling and beginning to think the two are related as is this side pain. I can hear my upper stomach area frequently making noise, which is not entirely normal for me.

I am pretty desperate at this point and am hoping anyone can help. I have seen a clinic and cardiologist and neither know what's wrong, I have a GI appt in upcoming days though.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

As this has been going on 3 weeks it's time to see your doctor. It's probably nothing more than a nasty bug or gastritis, as you are young and healthy. But in the meantime I suggest you drink plenty of water and eat bland food, well chewed in small quantities. This will give your insides a rest. So no spices, heavy flavours or alcohol for the time being. Instead foods like grilled chicken/fish, boiled rice, mashed potato, plain porridge, scrambled egg, white bread. Keep a note of what you eat and whether certain foods make things worse. I suggest you look up low residue food and also soluble fibre. You need fibre to keep you regular, but insoluble fibre can irritate an already inflamed insides. But the most important thing is a doctor's input. I am not a medical person, and am just advising you of what worked when I had gastritis.

• Posted

It sounds like there is a connection with what you smoked and your symptoms. It may have triggered gut inflammation. Soeak to your GI about this and maybe an endoscopy/colonoscopy may reveal something.

• Posted

When you used to smoke, did it ever really feel like it was burning inside when you inhaled? Does it sometimes feel uncomfortable drinking hot drinks? If so, you may have oesophagitis and possibly gastritis. Maybe try ppi tablets for a short time to see if the problem clears up. I know you said you gave up the cannabis, but do you still smoke cigarettes?

• Posted

I never smoked cigarettes, but I have gone to the ER since and ultrasound and blood work came back squeaky clean. Could still be gastritis? Does it produce intoxicating-like effects?

• Posted

I don't think gastritis would cause intoxicating affects, but you could still have it as well as oesophagitis. You need an endoscopy to be able to tell but that may be a bit uncomfortable if you are very symptomatic, which is why I would recommend taking ppi tablets to see if the symptoms get better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.