Excessive Deep breath taking/yawing/sighing

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve been have the need to take a deep breath every 30 seconds or so for around a month. I don’t know what the cause is exactly and how to even figure it out as doctors apperently don’t know what’s truly happening here and I don’t want to take depression or anxiety meds since I don’t struggle from either one. I’m not sure what to do. I’ve dealt with some strange mental malfunction before that was associated with my breathing a few years ago and the doctors gave me an inhaler which didn’t do anything. (My problem was that it felt like breathing was harder, almost like I was breathing through a mask) but I soon realized after dealing with the breathing problem that it was all in my head and what had sparked the issue was me getting sick. Having respiratory issues associated with the sickness (just a bad cold) caused me to believe that I was having trouble breathing and me not having any sort of problem like this before really freaked me out. But in the long run, today, I’m okay and I know how to fight that battle. BUT TODAYS BATTLE is trying not to take deep breaths like a nut job every 5 seconds. I’ve figured out that this is as well just a mental malfunction and my brain is telling my lungs to expand as much as they can at the fastest rate. Which is hard to control since this is a nerve that’s triggered, just like when you’ve watched someone yawn, you then too yawn. (Which I believe is a human instinct in which helps our internal clocks stay correct, when someone else yawns and you see them your brain is likely assuming that it’s time to get to sleep which in return tell you to do the same. Again that’s a theory) I can’t control it. It’s driving me nuts. If I take too many deep breaths in a short amount of time then my attempt to take a deep breath will literally fail and I will feel then like I cannot breath, which I’m assuming is now a congnitive standard im which my body somehow developed and now I’m essentially addicted to taking deep breaths because of the “satisfaction” I get of completeling one. Because I do also get a good amount of joy when I do complete a deep breath, but when I do it too much then my lungs will overinflated and literally will not expand any further causing my deep breath to fail and give me anxietyabout me not being able to breath.

Now my situation has been projected, let’s see what the power of not yet 1 brain can figure out, but the power of multiple brains.

PS, I do vape, I’ve decided to quit TODAY as another theory of mine may be that the vapor is burning my lungs and the damage is causing some sort of malfunction or healing process that needs it’s time to return back to normal. I workout regularly, well I’m fairly not passionate about it as I do personal training so I wouldn’t say that’s the problem. I also don’t consume caffeine. Or at least I stopped once this started. Let me know if anyone’s heard of nicotine overdose causing excessive because apperently that’s a thing and that’s another reason for why I’ve stopped.

Thanks to everyone, hope I get some reply’s.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I vaped for some months quite a few years back now, a year or two before it went mainstream. I gave it up however as it made me feel as if I have asthma.

I now have problems with feeling like I am suffocating even when my blood oxygen level is 97% but this started the day I was prescribed Beta Blockers for a heart condition and even though I know longer take them, I still feel as if my mungs dont work automatically.

• Posted

I recommend for you to try an exercising technique in which you jog for 30-45 minutes with a face mask that makes it more difficult to breath. Doing this will potentially teach your body to oxygenate more efficiently and as well potentially strengthen the diaphragm. Give it a shot, after getting used to the mask once you take it off you’ll be shocked by how well you’re actaully able to breath. In the case this is a mental standard which was set (meaning your brain expects breathing to feel a certain way and since it doesn’t feel this “certain way” you overthink it and it becomes a chain reaction causing you to never forget about it) and this will also help eliminate that factor.
    • Posted

Jogging for 30 minutes!, That's not something I am able to do these days with my heart condition, they had to stop my recent stress ECG before I even got to the fast walking! 

• Posted

Awh man. Well screw the jogging. But I recommend the air mask still, that makes it a little harder to breath. It’s used to target oxygen efficiency in athletes and I believe it would help your case too. But with the heart condition I would check with your doctor before commencing in any sort of lung exercises!!! 
  • Posted

Maybe it's a problem with breathing out rather than breathing in?  Something like air trapping?  Try some breathing exercises for lung problems.  You will find loads online.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.