Excessive head and face sweating

Posted , 301 users are following.

I am 63 and for the last 22 years have suffered with excessive sweating on my head and face, which seems to be getting worse.  This is uncomfortable and embarrassing.  If I do anything even slightly energetic (hoovering, ironing etc.) it is worse, and it takes a long time for me to cool down.  I was referred to a dermatologist who prescribed pills, which just dried up my eyes (red, sore and bloodshot within 30 mins) and mouth (making it impossible to eat or even speak).  She point blank refused to consider any other treatment, even telling me botox does not work for the face, which i know is untrue.  This condition, to other people, seems trivial but it is not.  In the summer I cannot go outside, so I can't even play with my grandchildren.  I certainly couldn't go out shopping or to a social event, the sweat drips off me and my hair is drenched within minutes.  I obviously cannot use make-up, or even have a decent hairstyle, which zaps the confidence.  I do have a thyroid problem but that is well controlled.  I am a little overweight but not much.  I have other non-related medical conditions (arthritis, fibromyalgia).  Has anyone any experience of the new gadget around which includes a mask for the face, plugged into a machine - sorry I can't remember the name of it.  I know they are very expensive but I am desperate.  Any helpful tips would be great.  Thank you. 

29 likes, 808 replies

808 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, this is Eileen 11130 again.   I meant to ask , do you sweat at night?  I sweat all night long.   I change clothes 4-5, times and am constantly soaked.  I wear cotton twirl use like you would after you wash your hair nd change then several times a night also.   I am always tired as I never sleep and entire night.  I also have RA , OA, Fibro, and PMR.   For which I take meds.  Take care......
    • Posted

I sweat within minutes of showering, regardless of the weather, I can't dry off because I sweat before I get there. I use corn starch talcum powder (not regular talc only the one made from corn starch as it's more absorbant and safer in the groinal region) all over my body in order to get dressed. I use it heavily in my groin and under my breasts. My armpits don't sweat much, so regular deoderant works there. Australia recently put the prescription strength antiperspirants on the shelves in the supermarkets, I bought one and tried it on my neck and chest area as this is where I sweat most at night and it really did work. So between the clinical strength antiperspirants (that's what they're called), regular antiperspirants, talc and perfume, oh and my folded bandana on my head (see my first comment above) I manage my hyperhydrosis reasonably OK. I can't shower more than twice to three times a week as they tire me out and make me dizzy and it's dangerous as I've almost passed out numerous times all thanks to the fibromyalgia!! But I wash every day and now thanks to the clinical strength antiperspirants, I don't sweat as much at night, making me smell better during the day. I hope something I've said is helpful to one of you.
    • Posted

If you can handle having dry hands and mouth... Might want to try glycopyrrolate. I know I've posted a lot on here today... But it really has changed my life and I would like to help as many people with this condition as possible.
    • Posted

Do you know why you were prescribed that medication vs. Oxybutynin? I'm curious to what the difference is. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Bill,i have very bad head and nect swesting and i can't take any of the drugs other members talk about.

I had bybass surgery in 2010 and on meds so the dtugs everyone talks about my Doctor said i can't take because they will afect the meds i'm on and not in agood way

So i am stuck with this sweating and can't find anything that works i have tryed all deorderants and still sweating?

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I take tablets. I have heard there are oxy transdermal patches though that are sold over the counter. They state they are for urinary incontinence, but the effects should be the same on sweating one would think. Im not sure where this is found otc or what countries it is available in though.. but a quick search online turns up oxy patches that are otc for what it says is bladder control. Im going to speak with my doctor about this next time i go.

• Posted

Hi Vicki, im sorry to just now respond... i didn't see your comment.

I believe the medications are very similar and both have the same effect on the chemicals that trigger a sympathetic nervous system response...

I have been reading a lot of studies lately that show oxy can lead to early dementia and cognition problems. Studies i have read show that glyco has less potential to cross the brain blood barrier and has much less negative effect on the CNS... if any at all. There are actually medications being created specifically for dementia patients that will be a combination of glyco and other meds, because researchers are fairly confident that glyco will not have a negative effect on cognition and will not exacerbate problems for those already having cognition problems. Sorry to be so wordy... but i am very serious about finding all the info i can. I am 33 and i don't want early dementia.. but hate living with HH. I have done my own risk/ benefit analysis. I encourage anyone considering taking these medications to do some reading online about these studies and talk with your doctors about what will give the best result with least risk.

• Posted

Thanks for the info bill & I'll look online to see if I can buy some patches.

• Posted

Mary...

Were you able to find it online?? I don't have insurance and want to try it too!!!

• Posted

Hi Mia I'm sorry but I couldn't find them at all,so if you find any will you please let me know.

• Posted

Hi gill22568, I feel your pain. I am 54 yr with fibro and am going thru menopause. I just want to review some basic living modifications in case you may have missed something. I moved to Hawaii where in summer our humidity can be 85% and up in Aug and sept. I no longer drink regular coffee or tea-switch to decaf and iced. Regular messes with the body's thermostat. Also I was told that India some people only eat sweets in the winter because they warm up the body.

My Dr told me to avoid anything with a sleeve, even a cap sleeve can push you over the edge. I now wear tennis skorts and athletic tops because the fabrics absorb sweat, never look wet and dry very rapidly. Halo headbands are made of the same material but include a thin band that prevents sweat from getting in your eyes. Carry a battery operated fan (a srrong quiet one)to all events as well as a bottle of ice water. The fan can be set on a table or in your lap discreetly. Sandals are all I wear.

Errands and chores are done early in the morning including preparing for cooking the evening meal.

In the house, start up the fan/ac before you get overheated or feel warm. I rest from the heat of the day from 2 pm until supper.

At night, I use the a/c and a fan in the bedroom and a penguin cool mat that is refrigerated an hour before lights out. Then (or if it's really humid) I switch the a/c to the dehumidifier option and turn off the fan. The dehumidifier is a warmer temp than the a/c but still dries the air. The cool mat is the diameter of a standard pillow but will stay cold for about one hour-great to help fall asleep. I had to figure out that from my thighs down I needed an extra blanket compared to my thighs up to mid back. My shoulders and neck need nothing on them and sometimes my arms also need nothing. I also have a remote controlled fan so I could set it to stay on for so many hours when I need it.

All these changes have improved my quality of life enough that I don't feel like I have to quit participating in life. The products I've mentioned I found on amazon and I buy my athletic wear from Ross and tjmaxx which saves me hundreds of dollars.

I hope this helps somewhat.

• Posted

Forgot to mention I no longer take hot showers but take lukewarm to cool. Use the hairdryer on a lower temp without drying completely and keep hair short or up.

Makeup: waterproof everything! And carry golfers hand towels for mopping the face.

Most important of all! A sense of humor ♡

• Posted

thanks for advice.

Am in kenya and its extremely hot in most regions. my problem is that i sweat after even a slight physical exercise like waling to my bus stop from work or even commuting while standing. sweat drips allover my face and in the process i end up wiping off all my makeup n feeling embarassed. i cant even perm my hair coz the dampness from my head wears it off. if i put on lace wigs  its hellish as it covers my scalp n the heat is unbearable..av resorted to braiding my hair or shaving it off to reduce the sweat from my scalp...

• Posted

Dear gill22568,

I just wanted to say a huge thank you.

I have suffered with excessive facial , scalp and head sweats for as long as I can remember and it was taking over my life.

Doctors and Hospital Consultants put it down to General Anxiety Disorder but I knew it was't.

After seeing your post I went to the doctor and asked if I could give Oxybutinin a go. He agreed (even though it isn't licenced for CH) and it has changed my life. Thank you so much gill22568, you are an angel x

• Posted

I picked up my perscription today. Have u found that u can take as needed, like if you are going somewhere take it, but if u were staying home and didnt care about hair and make up skip that day pills?  How soon did it work for u?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.