Excessive Mucus. cannot get rid off

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am a sixty year old woman Approx 3 mths ago I was diagnosed with hiatus hernia and Gerd However my major problem is large amounts of mucus in my throat that is nearly impossible to clear I am having major probs breathing as my throat feels like it is closing up and I spend all day gasping for air and trying to clear throat I am taking 40 mg Somac and 300 mg of ranitidinine and nothing works I take probiotics and magnesium Can anyone help. I am desperate

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Did somac cure the heartburn? My doc recently prescribed me Rabeprazole, which cured heartburn but I still had mucous stuck in throat. My symptoms improved after 2 week of usage.
    • Posted

This vm.My heartburn is not such a problem,where as the mucus is overwhelming. Stuck in throat all day and really wearing me down I will ask my Dr about Rapeprozal.   Did it clear up mucus for you or just improve it
    • Posted

It's Rabeprazole not rapeprazole. I used to have swallowing difficulties because of the mucous stuck in my throat. Symptoms almost gone now. My doc prescribed me 20 mg Rabeprazole plus a Prokinetic drug levosulphride which really made the difference. I have a GERD due to weak eosphaghus valve and this medication helps.

• Posted

Thanks  very much  This does seam to be exactly what  I am after  and hopefully will help  I will be visiting my GP ASAP
    • Posted

Thank you very much  I seem to be getting better using the Rabelaisian --- Did it give you a sore throat as a side affect

at all

• Posted

It seems from what you are describing is silent reflux caused from LPR.  I get this, I always blamed my sinuses and post nasal drip, but after having three esophageal spasms used from gerd,  this mucous issue became worse and it felt at times there was something stuck in my throat.  Ppi's and acid blockers don't always help get rid of these symptoms,   You really have to change lifestyle......diet, avoiding trigger foods, if you smoke or drink alcohol it would be beneficial to stop. The hernia can be causing a lot of this as it allows not only acid but enzymes called pepsin to sneak back up in your throats a d cause these symptoms....mine is a silent reflux because I have no burning, just the sensation that my throats is being squeezed, a lot of mucous and sometimes a lump sensation..... not a comfortable feeling.  I have had mine on and off for about  6 months, and I am in my early forties, I don't drink or smoke, I eat pretty healthy....but always room for improvements, one thing I do need to do is exercise more to lose about 10 to 20 pounds as my weight seems to sit I. The abdomen so it is no wonder stuff gets pushed up......I am going to go for a barium swallow test at some point t to make sure there is nothing more going on, but any doctor I have seen thinks it is gerd related.

• Posted

Your symptoms seem to be exactly what I am feeling and getting--especially towards the end of the day   Apart from  your lifestyle changes   do u take any medications  I am a non smoker   ashtma free  and really not over weight  so lifestyle is not such a big  thing I think..  I am eating  non acidic foods  no dairy  but really getting no where
    • Posted

I have the same symptoms this really helps knowing I'm not tyhe only one

• Posted

It helped me to take 2 tsp organic apple cider vinegar in with half a cup of water every morning. I noticed big difference within a few days. Make sure to rinse the mouth right afterwards tho. Vi ear not good for the teeth. But it does cut thru the phglm..wink hope it helps u..
    • Posted

thks  vm  I have tried the vinegar and it does gives some relief  but at the moment not  enough  Thks vm for your input and assistance

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.