excessive sweating

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have suffered from excessive sweating from my head causing my hair to be constantly wet for years, in december last year I had an operation to stop this ( thoraxic sympathectomy) which worked but unfortunately I now suffer from excessive sweating from my back,thighs & knees which is even more embarrassing ,what can be done to stop this? sad

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

very difficult problem, consider probanthine bromide tablets but not guaranteed to perform

Botox injections are of massive benefit to a lot of people

John Ashworth Dermatologist

• Posted

Hi, I too have suffered from excessive sweating for years.  The only difference is I sweat on my face when shopping or anything that involves me walking.  I could go to the grocery store for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.  By the time I got to the register, I am soaking wet.  My shirt is wet around the neck hole.  I go to the gym daily also.  I spend an hour on the elliptical and a half hour lifting weighs.  By the time I am done, you can ring me out - I am so wet from perspiration.  This excessive sweating is very, truly embarrassing.  I have high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes.  But, honestly, I have been sweating like this before I was diagnosed with all these problems.  I tried talking to my doctor(s) about this and they say: it is natural or don't worry, or I am blaming medications.  I honestly want it to stop.  The only way I can accomplish that is to first know what I am dealing with.  Please help.
  • Posted

hi i suffered with excessive sweating for over five years and completely understand your feelings i was resorted to carrying a full change of clothes with me wherever i went i had to stop people from hugging me as my clothing was soaked constantly and although i went to my gps about it they just put it down to my age i'm 49, in the end i was looking through multple web forums and someone mentioned Oxybutynin which is a prescription tablet. armed with this option i went to see my gp i was very lucky he listened and although i am on all kinds of medication 32 tablets a day he actually prescribed it to me as a months trial , i started taking one tablet and then two over four days. it was the best thing that has happened in years within two day all my sweats stopped it was amazing i have been on oxybutynin for over a year and have not had one episode of excessive sweating, its made such a difference to my self confidence and i can start enjoying hugs, i hope this has been helpful and if you try it that it works for you good luck , lesley
    • Posted

so glad to hear this Lesley 164 i have just been prescribed Oxybutynin because of the exact same symptoms as you had ,i haven't got the prescription yet  my main problem is sweating on my head and chest ,my hair is constantly wet through ,more so in the summer ,.and its very embarrassing  i just hope it will work for me XX

• Posted

Well done in finding something amazingly helpful - and also for education me ! ! ! !

What dose are you taking ??

What is your own weight ? Or is the dose not really weight dependent ??

John Ashworth

• Posted

Hi, the compensatory sweating after sympathectomy is quite common. I wish doctors warned about that before the operation. I had been lucky enough to start using electro antiperspirant just before undergoing the operation, but I also know some people who had the sympathectomy, they were fine for a while and then the compensatory sweating started. Removing the clip didn't help. They are using electro antiperspirant for the chest, back, stomach and other areas...
  • Posted

Hi, I too have suffered from excessive sweating for years.  The only difference is I sweat on my face when shopping or anything that involves me walking.  I could go to the grocery store for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.  By the time I got to the register, I am soaking wet.  My shirt is wet around the neck hole.  I go to the gym daily also.  I spend an hour on the elliptical and a half hour lifting weighs.  By the time I am done, you can ring me out - I am so wet from perspiration.  This excessive sweating is very, truly embarrassing.  I have high blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes.  But, honestly, I have been sweating like this before I was diagnosed with all these problems.  I tried talking to my doctor(s) about this and they say: it is natural or don't worry, or I am blaming medications.  I honestly want it to stop.  The only way I can accomplish that is to first know what I am dealing with.  Please help.
  • Posted

Hi. I can relate to this a lot (had sympathectomy many years ago but still have the side-effects).

To be honest the only thing I have found that helps at all (without side-effects themselves such as medications) is a good prescription-strength anti-perspirant.  It helps a little with back sweating, but not legs I've found.

However (without sounding patronising), I also find these days that a good all-round approach to health is helpful, e.g. psychologically in coping with the side-effects of the operation, so I do jogging, tai chi, nutrition (such as omega oil), have occassional acupuncture, and am a big fan of self-help books.

What I will say is please never give up if things get tough with it.  There are always ways around (e.g. another thing I find a huge help are under-garments etc to disguise things like back sweating).  And you know that there are plenty of people out there who can relate and who understand this (in my opinion) underrated condition that you have.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.