excessive sweating

Posted , 12 users are following.

All my adult life I have suffered from excessive sweating. My main problem is my hands but also my underarms. Social life is extremely difficult. I dread having to shake hands. I have to be careful about what I wear so that damp patches do not show too much.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Well, what can I say... I feel for you. I have been living for the past 6 years with nearly the same problem: excessive sweating that covers hands, underarms and in summer also feet.

It is really difficult, as if I'm living my life wrapped into the layers of antiperspirants. sad I feel so dirty most of the time!

I'm considering getting a machine - I hope iontophoresis will save me, at least from wet hands and feet. What treatments or methods do you use? Any recommendations?

• Posted

I can only recommend the treatment that got me rid of my dripping wet hands ,got them dry and has kept them dry for years , and in the process really  changed my life  is Iontophoresis therapy  done with a machine called the Idromed 5PC.The machine wasn't cheap,  but it is a very sturdy machine and it should last my lifetime. The modern machines are set up with pulsed current that is easy to tolerate ...it's painless .also I do my treatments at home mostly  sitting before the tv ,they are real easy to use .
    • Posted

Hi Tropica,

I am 36 years old and have suffered from palmar hyperhidrosis and hyperhidrosis of the feet since I was a little girl (my earliest memories are from when I was 8 years old). I have tried EVERYTHING over the years including all sorts of medications, therapy, Iontophoresis, botox in the hands, drysol etc.  I saw some benefits with the medicine initially (Ditropan and Robinal Forte). However, the side effects including blurred vision and dry mouth were terrible. Botox of the hands was extremely painful and expensive (I had it done about 8 times at $1,000 USD a session) and it was not very effective and only lasted a few weeks not months.

Two months ago, I had the micro ETS surgery performed in San Antonio. The surgery was the best thing I have done and it is life changing. Not only are my hands now completely dry, but my feet are too which ETS typically doesn't solve. My only regret is not having done this surgery 20 years ago!

I have noticed some compensatory sweating when I am outside in humid conditions (my back sweats and my stomach) but it is minimal and way better than having sweaty hands. I am not sure if the surgery is right for everyone but it was definitely the best option for me and I am thrilled with the results. I should mention though that my insurance company would not cover it even after I appealed. I had to pay out of pocket and the total costs were about $9k. However, it was worth every single cent and the doctor offers financing options. I highly recommend it. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi, Yes I was also thinking of getting a machine (I am not sure where you live but I did initally have this treatment on the NHS and it seemed to work although you have to use it again after a few weeks) It definitely worked on the hands for me. Apparently they have better machines now as when I had the treatment I felt I needed someone to help operate machine with me (a nurse at the Hospital assisted). Would have to look into all the conditions. Machines are quite expensive.
    • Posted

The machines are expensive , but so are botox  treatments ,or ETS.The machine  are worth it in the long run because of the improved quality of life that theyy bring. that's been my experience .
  • Posted

Hi bee4,

The term associated with excessive sweating is hyperhidrosis. Sweating in excess is not medically harmful but can cause a major impact on your social and emotional aspects. Here are some useful and easy to follow tips that might help you guys.

1) Avoid spicy foods or alcohol that trigger sweat and makes conditions worse.

2) Use antiperspirants and not deodorants.

3)Avoid tight fitted clothes and nylon

4)Wearing armpit shields are a better option

5)Change your socks twice a day. Wear sports socks

6) Buy shoes which are made of leather, canvas and not cloth material.

• Posted

Yeah, I also second Rachel's advices. smile

and @ bee4

Currently my time is split between UK and another smaller EU country, so ordering any European iontophoresis device should be fairly easy - the main problem is price & delivery cost. I don't know how much time has passed since you last had your treatments, but I think the newer devices are better - many use pulsed current, and such treatments are apparently less unpleasant (they can even work on underarms) and still get the job done. smile

• Posted

I wrote it somewhere other, but try to google Electro Antiperspriant, it is helping me with excessive sweating for years!
  • Posted

I can certainly sympathise with your condition . I have been sweating excessively from the hands since childhood and I know all about the social problems associated with Hyperhidrosis.I have written  often to people to tell them that I found relief several years ago by trying Iontophoresis therapy .you say that you also sweat excessively from the armpits and I know that the Idromed 5 PC iontophoresis device that I have been using, also works on armpits .At any rate ,it has made it possible for me to keep my hands dry and that has made my life much easier .
  • Posted

I have been using glycopyrrolate for 2 or 3 years now. Let me tell you... It has changed my life. I take it on an empty stomach and don't eat for 3 hours after. I sweat less than a normal person now. I have found that effectiveness can vary slightly from manufacturer to manufacturer. My pharmacy recently changed manufacturers and the current product seems a bit weaker. I shopped all over town and can't find the old manufacturer. I went through life embarassed for a period but now I'm back to my old self.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.