Excessive sweating

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Is excessive sweating genetic? My dad has always been an over sweater, profusely sweating on his head, back, armpits and so on. This has always been the case for me too, although to a slight lesser extent than my dad. But in public situations, or even just in social situations, I start to sweat and can't stop.

I'm an active person, I gym 4-5 times a week and play tennis. I'm generally regarded as healthy. But the sweating makes me feel as though I'm not. I've bought underarm sweat pads, however, these fail to stick for very long and aren't the comfiest. I try to do things to minimise the sweating, like chewing ice, going outside in the cold in a t-shirt, wiping myself down to get rid of excess sweat when out. But does anyone have any 'tips' as to how they've managed to control it?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis maybe because of inherited genetic predisposition. Or, it might be due to some underlying health issues including, but not limited to, thyroid problems, diabetes or infections. The sweating you experience in social situations is due to social anxiety, which many people experience.

It is better to deal with excessive sweating in natural ways. Wearing breathable clothes, avoiding certain foods and applying antiperspirants regularly are some of the steps taken by people suffering with this problem. However, there are medical treatments including botox injections and surgeries that can regulate sweating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.