Excessive tiredness with Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 9 users are following.

i have an adult son who went "cold turkey " off 30 mg Mirtazapine on psychiatrist's suggestion. He is on day 18 and has only had minimal anxiety however he is extremely tired all the time. Basically he gets up eats and goes back to sleep. He never had sleep problems before this. All the other forums seem to indicate a lot of people have trouble with insomnia however he seems to have the opposite problem. Has anyone else had this happen? How long until it goes away? Any input would be appreciated! Thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne, I had to come of Mirtazapine after taking 15mg for 5 days then 7.50mg for two days before breaking out on a rash over my right and left side of my face going down my right shoulder....the doctor I see a dermologlist that day, he took a biospy but meanwhile we won't know the resutls until next Thurs.  Meanwhile I stopped taking any Mirtazapine and just taking 20 mg of prozac which went down from

40 mg when I started the new med.  One thing I will say is yes I have been very tired and sleeping more then 12 hours each night every since stopping.  My doctor wants me to the mediciation 1/2 off the 15 mf of rhw Mirtazapine starting on this Tues

night....we'll see if the rash was indeed the medication....while on it for the little time I tried it I was most impressed with how I felt it was a let down to have to stop itl

My story is very different from you sons, age and the amount I started with...just wanted you to know that yes I'm more tired since stopping..best wishes to your son and letting me tell you my story just in case it helps someone else...Eleanor

• Posted

Hi Ann

Sorry to read of your sons' suffering.  It does sound unusual, I can't help but wonder how well the sleep actually is during the night ?? and therefore makes up for it in the day by going back to sleep ~ is he taking anything else?

I hope you can find some answers, not sure that psychiatrist would manage so well if he/she cold turkeyed from a strong psychotic med !  Not good advice to CT, never off Mirt.

• Posted

I felt very weak most days and it made me feel pretty unwell too. I'd have days where I'd think I'm feeling better today and then I'd feel unwell again ( tired, weak + headaches)

Try to make sure he drinks lots of water and doesn't drink any Stimulant ~ Coke,Tea,Coffee. Have him eat lots of healthy brain food. I use to love my junk food but since stopping Mirt my tastebuds have changed and prossesed foods tastes sickly sweet.

He will return to his normal well feeling self, it can just take a lot longer than you'd expect.

In my experience tiredness was a huge part of my w/d's and I went cold turkey too,

Wishing your son a speedy recovery

• Posted

I stopped mirt 19 days ago .i feel unwell spacy and dizzi.stomach upset .tearfull.very nervous I thing like im in another world .I took mirt for 2 mo.Tell me if your symptoms go away and how long it takes.
  • Posted

Hi Ann,

I am surprised that a Psychiatrist would recommend quitting an AD by cold turkey? That does seem very odd!  Even a GP would recommend a taper over a period of time!  Quitting cold turkey is not good.  I think the best thing he can do, is to back to the GP (or Psychiatrist) and discuss the issues that he is having.

https://patient.info/health/coming-off-antidepressants

Good luck - Shaz

• Posted

Hi Ann,

I was taken off since I broke out into a rash down my both side of my face and down my right neck and shoulder....doctor sent me to a derm doc down the hall, they took a biospy,,,won't know the results until tomorrow and see my describing doc again also.  I feel that all I'ver read about this medication...it's pretty negative....rashes are one of the said affects...I was only on it for less then a week......thank you.

• Posted

excessive sleepiness coming off mirtazapine. my son was on 45mg of mirtazapine for 2 years and 3 weeks ago decided to stop taking the drug and went cold turkey. since then he has suffered with excessive sleepiness on many days - gets up at lunchtime seeming alright but, falls asleep 2 hours later and continues sleeping on and off for most of the day until he goes back to bed early evening and sleeps all night. he also at times speaks much more slowly and has slurred speech and slow movements. Another day he will be much more alert but tiredness and sleepiness never far away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.