excessive urination

Posted , 31 users are following.

Does any one have the side effect of needing to urinate more especially at night.Since going on 10 mg of amlodipine i can't stop going to the loo every five minutes.What have other people done about the excessive urination?

andy

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh, thank Christ I'm not the only one! I just started taking this a couple of weeks ago, 10mg up from 5. I noticed as of about a week ago that, all of the sudden, I had to pee... I mean reaslly pee... absolutely desperately... pee! 

It's lasted a few days now and at first, I asked my wife about a bladder infection. She just looked at me sideways andasked if it burned. Hell, I'm a guy, what do I know about a bladder infection!?

So, no infection, no burning etc. But I'm peeing like a fire hose every 10 minutes at night, after I take this pill. 

I went to an airport a few days ago and took the pill before I left the house. 3 hours later, I had to run from a 3 story parking garage, down to the first floor, across a street , up and elevator and into the terminal to find a bathroom... crossing my legs and stopping to focus on not wetting myself every other step.

It wasn't until a couple days ago that I put 2 and 2 together to realize the increase in dosage cooincided with my sudden urination urges.

• Posted

Me too Lerxst! I am on 10mg per day, which I take at night. 47yo female. All of a sudden, after being on this for about 2 months now, the urgency to urinate is constant!! It just hits and if a toilet is not close, well ... Oops! I read up on the side effects and nothing speaks to the urgency.
  • Posted

Yes, me too.  After only 5 days on 5mg Amlodipine I am up in the night 4-5 times and obviously getting rid of a barrel of water.  This worries me because I have previously been prescribed a diuretic tablet which, as with another writer, depleted my potassium which caused a hospital visit.  This medication does not include excessive urination in its list of side effects;  I found out only through this forum so thank you everyone.  It's good to know that I'm not alone in this.
  • Posted

me too (tho i'm glad to say not as bad as some above. but then i've just gone from 5 to 10mg, so lets see what these ones do)!

does it pass after a while of taking them?

if not, then does anyone have a solution?

the choices as i currently see them:

a) live with it

b) switch to a different blood pressure med

c) take something else to combat this symptom

does that sum it up, do you think?

also, am i alone in thinking its largely the sensation of needing to pee, rather than the actual production of (much?) more urine?

• Posted

"P*ssing like a racehorse" I think sums up that question at the end smile

After about 2 months of taking it though, I found it becomes bearable. Maybe it's not as bad, perhaps my body adjusted itself to the med, or perhaps it's just as bad, but I've gotten used to it.

• Posted

There are many other vey effective blood pressure drugs, so why stick to a calcium channel blocker? Ask your doctor for an ARB (angiotensin II receptor blocker like Cozaar or its many cheaper generic equivalents.
    • Posted

I have exactly the same issue - the sensation of needing to pee rather than actually peeing.

​I had my dose upped from 5mg to 10mg about 3 months ago and noticed little change - the only symptom I had suffered from on 5mg was swollen ankles. Just recently I had noticed my ankles begin to go down. The joy was short lived as the peeing sensation appeared quite suddenly. I dont actually pee anymore than I ever did, its just I have the sensation of needing to pee.

• Posted

Yes I was started on 5mgs /once a day and definitely notice I have to visit the bathroom frequently day and night. At first I thought I had a UTI but that was negative so Ime drinking plenty water and trying to retrain my bladder
    • Posted

Your constant urge to urinate can be caused by several factors.

For example, you may have persistently high blood pressure (especially at night), chronic kidney disease or diabetes

Tests for the kidney should be for urine albumin, blood tests for creatinine, electrolytes+ urea, egfr, fasting blood sugar, insulin, HBA1C, lipogram. You can show this list to your doctor, see if he concurs.

• Posted

I was on 5mg Amlo for BP and did spend a lot of time on the loo particularly at night. The problem was exacerbated by a prolapse which prevented me fully emptying my bladder. The prolapse has been fixed, BP med has been changed to Atenolol, BP is unchanged,and the frequency of urination is now to normal.

My husband has been on 10mg Amlo (+ 3 other BP meds) for 8 years following a stroke and we had always attributed his weak bladder and swollen ankles to stroke rather than meds. He coud not last more than 30 mins during car journeys though this did improve when he raised the passenger seat height to put less pressure on his bladder. After my experience the GP was reluctant to move away from Amlo but did reduce the dosage to 5mg. Since then ankle swelling has reduced, urination is less frequent, and BP is unchanged. We are working on the GP to move to Atenolol, so far with little response.

• Posted

I'm sorry, I just doubt if the companies that "develop" (manufacture/distribute) these meds with horrible side effects will care.  Its not they will "stop making it because of it's side effects". It's up to us to report / complain to out primary care Doctors; as it's on our Doctors to do trials and errors with other meds seeking the best results for each of us. I 

• Posted

I have the same issue of excessive urination at night or when I am laying down with my feet up. it appears to only be a problem when my feet are up. My doctor told me that your body stores fluid in your legs during the day due to gravity. At night or when you are laying down it is easier for your body to remove fluid because you are in a horizontal position.

• Posted

I too have discovered the frequent urination, and I just started Amlodipine, I went from 5mg to 10mg and with both I was going so much. but not just at night, even during the day. with also a uti, but being on medication and antibiotics, I know it can't be that. I'm also having a harder time picking up my son, who is one and is about 30lbs. Has anyone else found relief from this, or am I going to be stuck constantly being in and out of the bathroom? anyone else experience bloating too? I'm new to all of this, and I'm at a loss.

• Edited

I POSTED TODAY THAT I HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR OVER TWO YEARS WITH NO HELP FROM MY DR. OTHER THAN WHAT I POSTED. BUT I DECIDED TO TAKE THE MED IN THE MORNING AND FOR THE LAST 4 NIGHTS I HAVE NOT HAD THE URINATION PROBLEM WHICH WAS HORRIBLE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.