Excessive urination - around 15 times a day myself and my wife

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Would be great to know if anyone had a similar problem:

It started around ten years ago when I started to have excessive urination. At times, I would go about 12 times in a day and 6 times in night. I drink about 1-2 litres of water

Each time I go a lot and the bladder is fullI had tested for diabetes, inspidius,urine culture , scanning done and all the results were negative.

I've noticed sometimes I just go in 10 minute interval and have peed again the prettyuch the same quantity of about half a litre.

Some days I have e normal urination where I go about 6 times in a day.

Last year , a doctor prescribed me Doxycycline for a month which has reduced my urinary frequency.

The problem has started with my wife as well after marriage who used to have a very normal urination. Now she also gets up about 6 times in a night and 15 times a day. Has anyone faced this before?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,  There are so many things that could be causing this, it can range from over active bladder where the bladder needs to be trained to hold and space it out..the other could be a small bladder.  Are you both refraining from drinking anything in the evening, they say around 6pm fluids should be stopped to avoid frequent urination at night. 6 times is excessive, but again if you bladder is used to holding only small amounts then it is understandable that you would be going more.  I know for myself I get up a couple times a night and it is like clock work usually around 1 am and 5 am, but I tend to drink a lot of water and herbal teas through out the day and evening to keep the body flushed out.  I have heard of people who urinate less through the day and then go a lot at night, and I believe that has to do with how the kidney and heart are working.  Sorry I am not a lot of help, but I have eperience with this as my son has an overactive bladder.  I am not sure why your wife has suddenly taken on the same thing, maybe she is drinking more?
  • Posted

Hi arun,

I have the same issues and I am only 36. I go 12 times a day and 2 times at night. It started 5 years ago but I didn't pay attention to it until a year ago when my husband brought it to my attention.

I drink about 70-80oz a day nothing excessive. I don't have diabetes and went to a urologist and do not have bladder issues.

I'm thinking it might be a hormone issue as I am waiting to see an endocrinologist.

• Posted

Hi Taro,

I too had gone through several medical tests such as KFT , Bladder tests, Urine flow meter , Diabetes insipidius , Blood glucose several Blood tests and Urine tests and all tests came back normal, but wasn't able to find the root cause. I am very surprised that it had been passed on to my wife as well and she is facing same issues. Few days, I don't see any urges to urinate and I urinate normally around 6-7 times a day, but there are few days where I would have to use the bathroom 15-20 times and everytime I put out around 300-400ml water. Drinking lots of water make it worse or any kind of fluids. 

When I was in UK, I was prescribed 'Doxycyline' for a different reason and surprisingly it seems to have improved my condition a lot. 

Can you let me know how it went with your endocrinologist?

• Posted

Yes, I just got done seeing the endo and it could be my aldosterone levels. Aldosterone hormone controls your salt balance, how much water you retain and how frequently you urinate.

As I suffer from some unspecified fatigue is commom to have low levels of aldosterone. It controls electrolytes which also explains my fluctuating BP and heartrate.

I'm not sure if this applies to you and your wife but could be worth checking out. The other thing is having too much calcium can cause frequent urination as the body tries to get rid of it through urination.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.