Excessive Yawning and Constant Need to Breathe Deep

Posted , 480 users are following.

For the past few days, I've been yawning a lot, much more than average (once every few minutes I feel the need). If I'm not yawning I'm breathing in as deep as I can to get similar "satisfaction". Often I cannot get the "satisfaction" from these and so the urge grows and grows, meaning it can get quite uncomfortable. When I do manage it, the urge is back a few seconds later. This is whether I'm tired or not, almost all day. 

I'm not particularly anxious about anything in particular, and get the same amount of sleep as before this started. 

This also happened at some point within the past year which continued for a month or two if I remember correctly. 

Does anyone have any idea what it is or how to make it a bit better? 

Thanks.

27 likes, 1426 replies

1426 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ive become so fustrated with the issue. Inorder to breath properly I have to inhale deep many times to be able to breathe properly. Even yawn if the inhalations dont help. Which make me become irritated. Ive been to doctors and they never been able to diagnose the issue.
    • Posted

Hiya. I've been told by my doc it's anxiety.. it is a horrible feeling and exhausting. I find if I am totally occupied I'm fine but the minute I'm not busy, I think about it and off I go again.. I'm on waiting list for cbt.. I'm reluctant to take anti ds cos I'm not depressed. . All the best and hope it gets easier for you.
    • Posted

My GP said it was anxiety related too, I don't suffer with depression either but he prescribed me sertraline (I think it's called Zoloft if you're in the US...?) and although the first two weeks were horrible and everything was amplified it's started to settle now and the breathing issues are a lot less frequent. Also, trying to breathe slowly and gently through your nose really eases it too. Not saying medication is the best route for everyone but just thought I'd share my experience so far smile good luck with it!
  • Posted

Hyperventilation Syndrome is very annoying indeed! Mines Chronic and have had it most of my life without knowing so, the only times the breathing has worked for me is when there is no stress on me. I have no anxiety (it can be one of many many symptoms) and no depression but this year it got worse, my doctor asked me today if there might be someone living with me that is causing me extra stressx hah my mother (they say they need to stay a short while then all of a sudden they won't leave your work room causing loss of income gahh) is a good excuse to remind her she needs to move out for sure (nothing but negative comments). I now wake up in extreme pain especially on my surgery scars. Am interested to see how fast it will die down once I have my work room back.

Only recently found out the name for it from my doctor.

• Posted

I don't know if we have the same thing but for me, I only get this yawning phase when I think about yawning or I start naturally yawning and remembering about it, at no other times. And so when I do get it occasionally, I try my best holding it in, perhaps yawning a 1 or 2 times to relieve some pressure but otherwrise holding it in and focusing my mind on something else until I forget about yawning. This could be like turning your full attention to wathing tv or a household chore etc etc.. 
  • Posted

I have had this exact issue for at least the past 8 years.  I noticed it when I became pregnant with my daughter.  A remedy that seemed to have helped (but don't recommend) was a nasal mist that I ended up taking for nearly a year - I actually became addicted to it and needed to wing myself off of it.  It did help my breathing problem though and especially helped me get to sleep. 

Aside from that I feel like I'm the main character in a blonde joke who has to concentrate on my breathing just to slow it down.  I was actually barred from donating blood until a doctor releases me from my "breathing problem."  Honestly the issue feels like the tube between my lungs and my nose is too small to get the right amount of breath.  I understand what people say about breathing too much but that doesn't seem like the root of the problem to me.  I cope with the problem by literally concentrating on slowing down my breathing, but it's not a fool-proof solution, and it doesn't always help.  I wish someone could come up with a better solution to our problem...  I guess I could benefit from losing a few pounds, but I'm not overweight, and stress medication doesn't work. 

• Posted

I ave had the same exact issue for awhile now and did not know what it was, I was pretty scared and in stressful situations would get worse and worse because nerves would speed up my breathing. I read some other posts on here below and I really do agree with the fact that it is due to breathing TOO MUCH due to a little bit of anxiety. If you think about it, it makes sense and when we slow our breathing and just try to breathe through nose (at least) for me, it works wonders. I feel calm down and feel like I do not need to take that super deep breathe like im gasping for air like I just sprinted a quarter mile even though I have been sitting down. I know its very hard thing to understand but I do believe we are breathing too much due to anxiety or stress and this causes us to feel the constant need to take hard deep breathes to calm that anxiety.
  • Posted

I have read through this and it sounds very similar to the same thing I am experiencing. I know I saw at least one post that mentioned they were a runner and it was really affecting their times. Before this issue started I used to be able to jog anywhere from 1 to 3 miles just fine, but since I've had the issue, I am struggling and gasping for air after only about half a mile. I was just curious if this has happened to anybody else who is active on here and if so, did you ever find a solution?
    • Posted

How do you feel when you rest?  Do you still feel the urge to take deep breaths, or feel like your not getting enough air?  Do you breath mostly with your mouth open or closed?
    • Posted

Mouth closed. It's very sporadic. When I'm not busy doing something I usually when I feel the need to yawn, which I sometimes struggle to complete (it starts as a yawn until I am at the peak of the inhale, but then the exhale isn't a normal yawning exhale). This is when I have to take the deep breathe to feel like I've accomplished a yawn. I don't feel like I'm not getting enough air, but I have noticed that I can't hold my breath as long/get out of breath during physical activities a lot more than I used to (even walking up stairs).
  • Posted

Lestin up people, a lot of needless suffering is happening here, I have some good news for you all

The name of the condition you are suffering from is called : Chronic Cyperventilation Syndrome

It's a treatable condition, I recommend 2 things that will help you understand your problem and give you practical steps to treat it

1- a book called "Self-Help for Hyperventilation Syndrome: Recognizing and Correcting Your Breathing Pattern Disorder" by Dinah Bradley

2- practice the Buteyko Method, just Google it and you will find many resources and people who give training

I suffered from this condition and was frustrated that I never got a diagnosis, I feel sympathy towards all who felt the same way I did, please take care of yourselfs and don't forget to spread the word to anyone who might suffer from Hyperventilation Syndrome

• Posted

Yeah, I have that book. You can get it for real cheap too. Amazon has it. It is a wonderful book chockful of exactly what everyone here is going through here. It truly does have valuable information. The downside to all this is that it takes time until your body and especially mind adjusts back to normal breathing. I mean breathing without "thinking and obsessing" over it like I do at least. 
    • Posted

Hi Bob, I have a tip that will speed up your recovery :

Do not Sigh or do deep breathing , use a stopwatch, try do resist Sighing for 5 minutes, then for 10 minutes then for 30 minutes then for an hour etc, same thing for deep breaths, resist them the same way.

Your brain asks you to Sigh and Yawn to maintain your chronic hyperventilation, it's like withdrawing from drugs, it might sound hard but this will break the loop and it will become easier and easier the more you do it,

Also Yawn with your mouth closed with as little air intake as possible,

Good luck

• Posted

Your absolutely righjt. I've been doing that but it's so dam hard.  Some days are better than others. 
    • Posted

If i may ask, what is the longest you did without a sigh or a deep breath?
    • Posted

Three or four minutes but it depends. If I'm having a good day and an able to get those satisfying breath then I can go longer. The problem occurs is when I can't get that nice satisfying breath then I keep trying to get another and then another and then of course the vicious cycle begins. I know by doing this I'm burning off too much co2 and that's why I can't get that satisfying breath. The worst thing is I know exactly what's going on I know exactly what I should and shouldn't do, but yet I feel like I can't help myself. That's the worst thing in the world when you know what's wrong but you don't know how to help yourself and correct the issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.