Excruciating constipation !

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had a vaginal  repair for a rectocele ,cystocele, and sacrospinous fixation about a week ago. I cannot believe the pain I am in! 

Anyone got any advice ?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Laxido sachets, known also as Miralax and movicol, every single day, three or four a day to get you started, then two a day. It will make bowel movements soft and much easier. It isn't a laxative as such, it draws water into your bowel, so you also need to drink a lot more than normal.

• Posted

Hi, keep taking the pain meds as often as you were prescribed by the surgeon. Normally 4-6 hourly and make sure you keep some for night time from the allowance. Also, keep off your feet and rest as much as possible, just get up to walk to bathroom or stretch legs once an hour or so. It will get better but not if you overdo things, it's early days yet. I was told 4 months full recovery time, minimum! If it's still too bad to cope, call the hospital ward you were in after the op. They can give you advice. Best wishes, Pollyanna UK rolleyes

• Posted

PS, a glycerin suppository, 2 actually as one pushes the other in, is a help if you can use them. I think you need a doc or nurses advice on that though. A visit to your surgery is called for if you've not been by Monday. xxx rolleyes

• Posted

Hi. I had a  total hysterectomy and arteria and posteria repair (sacrospinious fixation) and a tvt all in one op and I suffered terrible constipation. I was in hospital for 5 days and still hadn't been. They didn't give me anything to soften my stools. I couldn't even pass wind. I went home with my catheter still in as I couldn't empty bladder fully either. A week after my op I went back in to have catheter removed and surgeon happened to be on ward and came to see me. He wrote me up for an enema and it took a while to work but I eventually went but it was still a struggle. 

My colorectal surgeon had prescribed me prucalopride to help me go regularly (long before my op) and I'd been taking that  whilst in hospital but it hadn't been enough but it once I'd had the enema I was able to keep myself regular. Along with plenty veg, fruit and water. 

Constipation is the worst thing after such a big op. Speak to you gp about help. May be worth getting an enema to help you get started. 

Good luck. X

• Posted

i am definitely thinking that an enema is the only answer !
  • Posted

Hi, I totally know how you feel, I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago.

it was honestly the worst pain I have ever felt (and I have given birth twice!) 

but hang in there because it does eventually get better. 

The pain was in my right bum cheek where they stitch/staple the uterus to the sacrospinous ligament

i was in floods of tears. I was taking co/codamol and ibuprofen for the pain.

i layed down constantly because you cannot sit. The pain was worse just before needling to go to the toilet. I was taking 2 sachets of Laxido so I wasn’t constipated which helped. 

Sometimes I couldn’t even put my right foot on the floor to walk without the pain in my bum cheek.

all I can say is rest, rest and more rest to give it time to heal. The excruciating pain lasted about 3 wks and then eased off. Nobody tells you about this pain that you are going to have and if it wasn’t for this forum and hearing first hand from other women that have gone through this I would have thought that they had left one of their medical instruments inside me when they did the op!  It was that bad.

i found it helped to keep my butt and mid section warm. When I was laying in bed I had a fleecey blanket that I tucked under my hip and tops of my thighs to support my right bum cheek and take the weight off it. Warm showers helped too

good luck with it all and I hope you’re pain free soon x 

• Posted

Thank you -I am sorry to hear you have experienced such a lot of pain but at least I know that I am not being a wimp ! I agree with your comment about it being worse than childbirth ! It does give me hope that things will improve.
  • Posted

It was a solid month for me, to feel like i could handle anything without pain meds aside from ibuprofen. 

I was advised from my aunt to use mirilax every day. Also, she advised me to stand over the toilet to poo, not try to sit. Also, I had a Foley catheter for a week post op and self cathed for 3-4 weeks after. My sister in law told me to stand over the toilet like a male to cath. I used a lighted magnifying mirror so I could see where to enter.

I was advised by my surgeon to not push or put any pressure at all on the area. No yoga. No lifting AT ALL. But...he was strict with me about walking. I’m not sure if the walking helped or not, but he swore that walking as soon after surgery and as much as possible was going he best way to feel better. My pain was unbearable. I’m a tough gal and this was brutal. I’ve delivered 5 babies. This was hands down 1billion times worse recovery wise. 

I am 12 weeks post op now from total hysterectomy, anterior & posterior repair. Things are better. I still gave suchering. I’ve been released to try up to 25lbs of lifting which means I can lift my 10mo. old baby!! Heavenly.

I still feel discomfort and weight in my abdomen when I lift anything. Sitting straight up is not comfortable. I can do it though.

I have learned through these forums that this recovery will be much slower than I anticipated. I’m just rolling with it and listening to my body. There is no quick fix here. 

Kegel, kegel,kegel!! As soon as it is tolerable. As much and as often as possible. This will work in conjunction with the surgery to keep your (new) pelvic floor strong. That kind of strength will hold your bladder and rectum in place. 

We are all here for you.

• Posted

I know I will be able to cope once this constipation is sorted out ! It is a long recovery period I know because I had a Manchester Repair about 30 years ago -but at least I don't have small children to care for this time.

thank you for your advice.

• Posted

The pain was excruciating for me. I was shocked. I had to quit any pain meds on day 3-4 so my bowels would work. I read where hovering over the toilet causes extreme pressure on the surgery so sitting is the best option. Google squatty potty to learn how to sit during BM. Drink plenty of water and eat high fiber foods. I mix 1/3 cup prune juice with 1/3 cup pineapple juice to keep me regular and if need it I used Milk of Magnesia. The MiraLAX upset my stomach and didn’t work. Laying down is the best remedy to get your body weight off your surgery and help with pain.  Sitting with legs propped up keeps all your weight laying on the surgery. Walking was painful so I wore socks and glided across the wood floors because taking steps jostled my surgery too bad. Forget leaning over or picking things up off the floor. No laundry, dishes, shopping. My spouse did it all for me. I’m 4 months post op and still no where close to normal. I’m hugely disappointed. Trying to work full time is a nightmare. I still wish for pain meds and know I can’t take  them for fear it could cause constipation which could relapse my surgery. Hopefully your recovery goes better than mine and fast! Too bad no one tells us all this. Hang in there. Take it easy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.