Excruciating lower back pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have 2 herniated discs. My L4-L5 and L5-S1, due to this i get numbness and sciatica down my left leg and currently awaiting discectomy surgery. I have only ever had thoracic back pain but this was due to posture and was managed easily with medication. Yesterday i suddenly got excruciating lower back pain which has gotten far worse, it started where it was sore to stand up and sit down but would be eased when sitting or laying down, then gradually turned to also extremely painful to turn or make any movements. I ended up in a&e to get pain under control and was given tramadol on prescription. The medication is not even touching the pain and the excruciating pain is now constant never eases and also extremely painful to walk, sit, bend, turn, anything, i can barely make any spinal movements. Has anyone experienced this? This is very odd as ive never had any lower back pain with the herniations and it has come on all of a sudden and is excruciating. Any help or advice would be appreciated and sorry if this is a jumble of words just trying to explain the situation. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. I have been in the same situation, it may be the muscles in spasm. Have u got a heat pad or tens machine to tide you over? Sorry for brief reply laptop keeps crashing.

• Posted

Have you tried sitting on a recliner with pillow under your legs as well, upper and lower legs, to get as much support as possible and keep still and allow to settle?
  • Posted

Hi

If you have leg pain then the nerve is inflamed. It’s very painful.

Ask your GP for prednisone (steroids) as this will be the most effective drug to reduce the inflammation.

Also, use an ice pack - 20 mins at a time. With at least 30-40 minutes off. Buy 2 so you can rotate. This will help with leg pain or back pain.

The only time not to use ice is if the pain is actually muscle spasm, but that is usually associated with joint pain (facet or SI joint) rather than nerve pain.

Good luck

• Posted

Oh dear my reply has gone.

Firstly are you American living in England? I am English and living in Spain.

You are exactly like me excel in have never had this op offered to me so you are lucky.

I will try to be short.. It could be a spur touching a nerve.

What do you take except the tramadol. England recommended tramadol ...did touch me either. This is what intake PAzital 38% with the rest made up with paracetamol and intake the minimum of lyrics but when I am in real bad pain I might take an extra dose. I had two ops, I did the research, then the surgeon forgot about me. The op was not like the one you are having and gave me a really bad back. I struggled on, just like you and paid for second op myself. I went back 4 months later in such pain and the surgeon said it would go...but it didn't so now I am unable to have anything. So I take my drugs and....I out a bit water bottle on my thigh..is that we here your pain is. I sleep pretty well and try to think ahead taking the drugs on time. Its when I forget that I have to work it out. I nhave tried everything I'm asfraid, the blast one was electric shock treatment and no it didn't work. What has is a cortisone injection every 3 months and I thank God I have a good Dr. This I gave under spa nish health system. I'm afraid after being told I was telling lies and had no pain we upper sticks and came to our holiday homed in Spain and the Dr is fantastic. Try a hot water bottle it's so obvious. However if I go to Valencia I take extra with me but try to take pills on time. I am pretty tired next day but have had a good time. There is nothing, cold\hot pads, pain machines etc etc that have worked. Spain is so far ahead than Britain. Or just thought have you insurance? Many people do but it would have been expensive for me. Maybe tell me a bit more maybe you have shortened yr text and can tell me more. We are not supposed to mention doctors but think we should, it would shape em up a bit more from the salaries they get.

• Posted

Oh forgot. Once you have a hot water bottle when you sit, put a cushion to yr bad back and then out the bottle between yr back and cushion until is fairly cool. Rest!!

• Posted

Hi...Same happened to me...Ended up in AnE!! Basically they bombarded me with everything..Oromorph.. Tramadol Gabbapentin etc...Try and find a good Orthopedic Physio....Best Wishes Dave
  • Posted

Hi Shelby,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such a horrific episode!

When back pain suddenly worsens, the most common causes are a worsening in one of the disc bulges/herniation of a disc. Usually this would cause your sciatica to worsen as well. 

The other common possibility is a severe muscle spasm. It might be worth asking your GP for an assessment ASAP, and if they feel it is a muscle spasm then they may be able to prescribe a muscle relaxant like Diazepam. 

There are other less common possibilities for what could be causing this sudden episode, which are more or less likely depending on factors like your age. 

Hope this helps,

Will

• Posted

Hi thanks for everyones replies! My back has not got any easier and unfortunately majority of the things everyone has mentioned ive already tried sad. Ive tried all the heat pads, ice packs, positions to lay/sit in, exercises, and nearly every medication possible including the diazepam with no help🙁 patiently waiting for surgery but waiting lists in northern ireland are horrible and its looking up to 18 months for a surgery date for the urgent list! Ive also been to physio for 4 months and they discharged me as it was only making me worse. Were looking at possibly the europeon directive but its trying to come up with £5000-£6000 to pay for the surgery in advancesad but thankyou everyone for the replies!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.