Excruciating pain in both legs and buttocks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Guys, I have been suffering with Sciatica for 11 mos. now. I’ve had 2 epidural and scheduled to receive another one tomorrow. My question is does anyone have any idea of helping with the pain upon waking up or even just relaxing. I can’t sit or drive. The next final step is surgery but I’m sooooo afraid. Do you guys think I should do surgery or just keep trying to fight it.

I just moved to another state alone with no family or friends. I had to come to a warmer climate for a medical condition that I thought would be my problem, but it’s the sciatica that has overtaken me. Any advice would be appreciated. I’m scared and alone😢

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi genieBo

My advice as someone who had surgery and is still in pain is KEEP FIGHTING UNTIL YOU HAVE BO OTHER ALTERNATIVES. No. 1 most important thing is t ok ge tg ab MRI to establish what's causing your sciatica and then have physio, chiro or whatever you need to treat conservatively first

• Posted

Hi geniebo

Hope Ur ok , I am still in a bad situation unable to sit ,lay down , walk and I had surgery last October ,I am now waiting to get an injection ,the pain is still as bad I live on pain killers ,have no life so try everything else before surgery ,I wish I all the luck

Mimm xx

• Posted

Hi mimm,

Awwww I’m sorry to hear that you’re still in pain. I’ve taken surgery out the equation, I’m hearing to many bad experiences with the surgery. I will just continue this fight.

I may do another series of Acupuncture and aquatic therapy. Keep fighting Hunni with all you got. I will pray for us both. Big Hug for you.

• Posted

If it's sciatica down one butt cheek and leg, then here ya go...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

#4 in the discussion is when it was caused by a bone spur at L4...surgery is the only fix.  In that case, it was immediate relief with the nerve completely calming down in 7-10 days.  Same day surgery...piece of cake.

If you are having pain down BOTH legs, then it might not be sciatica.  More probably it's spinal foraminal stenosis.  I've had that too at L2/L3.  Again, there's only a surgical fix that I know of.  In my case, the doc did an LLIF fusion.  Miracle op.  Immediate total pain relief, one night stay, no rehab, no brace.  Again...stenosis presents itself just like sciatica but down both legs.

So now you know the cures.  Get it done...stop living in pain...

• Posted

Hi Chico

I have read alot of the stuff you have put on here thank you for the information , but you make it sound so easy ..

firstly it is very hard to get a Dr to understand, first Ur just given painkillers to swallow ,then u return as the pain is still bad then they recommend exercise pt and extra pain relief , u go home feeling hopeless u can't move because of pain , you end up going back till eventually you get a scan date which is 12 weeks away week before it's cancelled and a new date is given eventually u get scan and surgery , I had a week relief of slight relief and I am still in the same boat , surgeon has said it's not surgical ??!

I'm waiting for steroid injection that date has been cancelled I'm waiting for second date ,

I feel you have been very lucky to find Drs that have been a great help and understanding , and you have been fixed very quickly.

I cannot go private I'm in the UK and have to just wait , sometimes it's just not that easy to be fixed and surgery be the answer as you might end up were I am surgery and in worse pain and no one helping .

No disrespect to you , it's just some of your comments you make it sound to easy to be fixed when it's not ..

Mimm x

• Posted

Hi there, 

So sorry to hear of your situation. I'll share my experiences to see if any of it helps. I'm based in the UK on the NHS and live alone (no help with daily tasks).

I have 9/10 pain in one foot and ankle and 7/10 pain in the other foot. Leg pain and back pain. Bulging discs (two, the lower two) and a few other issues. Back problems for 13 years, the severe foot pain for 2. years. Rarely leave the house, pain on standing, walking and sitting. Some relief laying down but still in pain pretty much 24/7.

Have seen MSK several times and the surgery team, they turned me down for decompression surgery (devestated, but that's just how it is). 3 MRI's, nerve block, spinal epidural, physio, accupuncture. Of all of those, only the spinal epidurals had any effect, and only minor.

On Gabapentin, Naproxen, Sofadol (max dose) and just started on amytriptiline. Combined they do help but only with other things, mostly pacing. I pace activities a lot, the more I do, the worse I am. Use grab sticks, toilet cushions, body cushions and stools etc to make life easier but it really is about slowing down activities with no bending or twisting (still working ont that part!) all of that reduces pain but still just in the house, rarely go out. Have to manage everything alone and work from home for a few hours every day so it's a slog but getting through it day to day.

Waiting for pain clinic appointment (waited 4 months already). They've mentioned a spinal cord stim, as have now run out of all other options.

Hope some of that helps a little, I know it's hard, it seems impossible sometimes, but keep pushing the docs and keep making things as easy on yourself as you can at home, get aids and pace a lot. There's no guarantee that surgery would even work, it doesn't always, you could end up worse so any alternative may be better.

Good luck! x

• Posted

Hi Karen

Thank you for your reply , I also am waiting for a pain clinic appointment ,you've been going through this a long time ,I ended up in my local hospital at weekend due to the Pain as I couldn't move after 9 hrs I was given some morphine ,I went to my drs next day and he was going to put me on amitriptyline but as I have an appointment at the end of the month he gave me morphine , gabapentin did not work it was increased and did nothing so I am off that I'm on dyhdrocodieine for the pain , and paracetamol , the morphine is useless no point taking it as it just makes u drowsy and takes the edge of the pain for half an hour but makes u feel sick ,

Have you had a steroid injection ? If so how long did it last , ?

I take everything slowly ,I'm in a wheelchair as I can't stand or walk due to the pain and stiffness ,

But I am on the sofa and just constantly trying to find a position comfortable to sit then stretch same at night , cannot lie on my back then it's one side over to the other all night with 10 minutes naps till 3 then I get up as I can't take anymore,

Not heard of a spinal cord stim but I hope it helps you and I will be reading about wat it is , thank you again ,the worst feeling is being alone in this nightmare and noone understanding ,

Mimm x

• Posted

I live 20 minutes west of Fort Worth, Texas, US and for me it's incredibly easy.  Whenever I have  a back or hip problem, I first go to my chiropractor who tells me if it's beyond her capabilities.  Lots of times, she fixes me right up.  $20 copay.  If she can't, then I go see my neurosurgoen who may try PT or a shot (they never work for me) but ALWAYS has a good idea of what's wrong.  Four times, he's had to go into my spine...four successes including two fusions.

I don't know your system but here we have direct access to the docs who can diagnose the problem and then get it fixed ASAP.  I've never gotten the run-around and have always received the care I needed promptly.  Why?  Because I'm 70 years old on Medicare!!!!  Yes, socialized medicine in the US that works just fine for us aging Boomers.

• Posted

Youve been very lucky with your doctor's , and yes Medicare is great idea ,to think they once thought the Medi baby boomers was going to be a budget buster but was successful..

I have had to come out of work temporary after 35 years due to this back but fingers crossed it will be sorted soon,

Our NHS runs great sadly it's under huge presure but that's another topic,

Hopefully your all sorted now wish u well mimm x

• Posted

Hi genieBo

How you feeling ,how did it go with the epidural injection, hope it works for you lovely and takes the pain away mimm x

• Posted

Hi Mimm

The epidural shot was a failure again😢, I had a little relief the day after, I was actually able to sit for one day. Here day 3 im back in the bed can’t sit or drive.

I don’t know what to do now. I’m thinking I will start Acupuncture, I tried it before but I wasn’t going like I should’ve. 

I will not be going back to that doctor because there’s nothing else he can do for me.

I will absolutely not take all those poisonous drugs that had me like a zombie and was not able to function.

• Posted

Hi geniebo

So sorry to read that it has not helped, I feel for u ,my appointment is Thursday for my injection ,

Wat options are left for you now ? Did he mention trying to relieve it with surgery ,maybe that's your only last option lovely ,the pain is awful I never tried injections so wish I had tried those first ,sending hugs to you and pray Ur not in this nightmare too long same as myself we need our lives back..

Mimm x

• Posted

Hi mimm

Good luck with your injection, it may work wonders for you. I had sciatica about 2years ago I got the injection and it lasted 11/2yrs. after the second injection.

I’m not sure where to turn to now. I hear wayyyy to many bad stories about the surgery.

All I know is this has taken over my life. Let’s continue to pray for everybody that suffering with this curse. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.