Excruciating pain post hydrocele surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi can anyone tell me if this is normal. I had a very large hyrodrcele removed Tuesday. My surgeon said it was one of the largest he had dealt with. It has started to grow upwards into my pelvic region and groin. I was in terrible pain at the slightest movement but it was ok if I was still or lying down. 

Now Sunday 5 days post op my pain is unbearable. I have not been able to move from the sofa since, only to use the toilet. The pain will not subside. I’m taking 30/500 cocodamol and ibuprofen but they are doing nothing. The swelling is getting worse by the day. I tried to wear the jock strap provided but the swelling has gotten so bad it is pertruding out the sides of it and hurting it more as it is so tender. I’ve brought several types of y fronts for support but they are not keeping it contained for support as the swelling is so large I cannot fit it inside anything.

My surgeon told me to expect mild pain for a few days but this is horrific and doesn’t seem to be subsiding. Can anyone give me any advise also reccomend and support underwear large enough? I have called the hospital and they advised if I think it’s infected to go back - I don’t have any symptoms of an infection I’m just in agony and swollen beyond belief. Any help greatly received 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Man, I'm sorry to hear you're going through that.

Not trying to rub it in but I had my surgery three weeks ago, tomorrow and I was lucky with the pain as I didn't have much at all.

I had my hyrdrocele for over a decade and it was getting a bit large (the size of a grapefruit). I however had no pain associated it was however, more recently creating some incontinence so I decided to just get it done.

One post op issue I'm dealing with is the incision not healing quite as rapidly as I would have wanted but outside of that, I'm good. I still have some swelling but my scrotum is now 1/3 of the size or less of what it was. Can't complain.

In your case my friend, I would get an appointment with the surgeon ASAP. I don't believe that much pain is normal. People say the swelling can persist for up to one year but not in the way you describe it. Now, every body is different and some have more pain than others and I guess I was one of the lucky ones but man...

Again, take yourself to the surgeon and have it checked out. 

Remember all the information in these blogs is subjective. Don't start freaking out about something that could potentially be normal for your situation.

Hope you feel better

• Posted

Was a surgical drain installed at the time of surgery? I have read a couple cases where some surgeons don’t put one in only to have to return to the OR and put one in.   I regret that you are suffering. I would be on the phone to my doctor ASAP.  Surgery is never a garantee but they should be able to offer you some relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.