Excrutiating pain 4 wks after tkr

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All. Im now 4 wks into revovery and for some reason yesterday started getting dreadful pain down my thigh and into calf like a torn muscle type pain amd a soreness under the skin on top of my kneecap. I had yet another sleepless night as I cant get comfortable and the pain was worse than its ever been. Also have a lot of clicking going on inside and this is what makes the pain worse in particular place. I cant even lift my leg off the floor tho I was making quite good progress. I feel I have gone back to the beginning.Ive still not been seen by a physio so I dont know if Im doing too much or too little. Im on NSAIDs and paracetemol and cant take anything with codiene in. Is this normal to feel like this? I thought there was some light at the end of the tunnel but now I wish Id never had it done.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Rose, keep strong. The clicking sound is normal, we've all dealt with it and the fears that something is wrong. Is the pain in the back of your thigh? For me, it was very helpful to stretch out my legs, especially the backs of them. I'm guessing your pain will feel a bit more intense because you aren't taking a narcotic. While I didn't feel as if tramadol did much, I wasn't ready to give it up. A good night's sleep won't come for a while. Sometimes you'll get one that's better than usual, but unless you are taking a sleeping aid, there won't be many. Did you try asking for a prescription of Voltaren Gel? It is really very helpful. I'm praying you find some relief and can see that this wasn't a mistake.

-Mo

• Posted

I think that was good advice Mo. Still very early for Rose. I had a lot of pain at 4 weeks. Tramadol helped greatly but the GP took me off it. A few questions for you. I STILL get the clicking every time I move after 8 months,I hionestly think that is for ever though i can put up with it. Also,do you use voltarol on the operated knee? Any benefits to this and could it do harm?
    • Posted

John, I'm now at 22 months post op and I don't notice the clicking as much (or maybe I've just gotten used to it). Though, I have found out this past year (from a different surgeon) that my knee caps are going to eventually need replaced and one is worse than the other. What that means is I have that sort of grating sound that I had before my TKRs when I stand up and walk up stairs. I wasn't too excited to hear about that.

I do use Voltaren on my operated knees. I actually got it from my step-dad who was given it after he had his shoulder surgery. I've got planter fasciitis and one of the heels sometimes hurts so badly. I've applied a bit of it to the heel and I can sleep better. Here's what Voltaren is: Diclofenac is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body. Diclofenac topical 1% gel (Voltaren Topical) is used to treat joint pain in the hands, wrists, elbows, knees, ankles, or feet caused by osteoarthritis. So I guess, because we still have some inflamation, (and I do almost anytime I walk more than 7,000 steps in a day) it works. Not sure why it helps my heel - unless it's just in my head. And if that's the case, I don't care, it works.

-Mo

• Posted

Thanks for advice I expect Volteren is the same as volterol? Been told not to use it cos I take an |NSAID Meloxicam every day and it would interact.
    • Posted

Yes, it's the same. And very good point. Research (at least in the USA) is a little mixed. Voltaren is the only topical NSAID available here. I don't think it's so much that it will interact, it's that you are getting a higher dose and there is a concern about the negative impact that may have on your body. Too bad, as I've really found great relief with applying it right to the spot.

-Mo

• Posted

Rose, this is a process and as you are finding out, different for everyone. You are experiencing some of the slowest healing parts of the entire proceedure, nerve damage.

Take pain meds as needed. If you need help finding the right stuff, talk to your primary care. You say You can't take opiates but didn't indicate why. You aren't so far out of surgery that you can just quit. Increase your fluid intake....you must stay well hydrated to heal properly.. Ice....frequently and elevate. Do your excercises but don't beat up on yourself. They are meant to heal not harm so go slowly.....very slowly. There are no gold stars handed out for being the 1st one done. I've been through complete rehab 5 times and 11 surgeries on my knee/leg. Each time it's different both in length and pain levels. Practicing your walk is important. Slow....flull stride......hit your heel , ball of you foot then toe with full bend now the other leg, same thing. Sure, you are going to look strange but it's very important. You were bb in real pain walking anyway you could to prevent that pain , now you are trying to work through it. Stay with the plan. 4 weeks is far to short of time to judge. 6 weeks should be your 11st benchmark and then 3 months....6months. Most Dr's will tell you the knee isn't yours for a year. Keep on keeping on....

• Posted

I stopped co codamol after a wk cos they made me fell so ill I couldnt eat but |Im back on NSAID Meloxicam now so as far as I know can only take paracetemol with them.I think I will feel better when I see a physio eventually, still not been refered def will take your advice thanks. Have an appointment with surgeon on 17th Aug so see what happens
    • Posted

Always take meds with food or milk....never on an empty stomach. That helps especially with BRaids and opiates.
    • Posted

Nsaids not BRaids....auto correct .....👎
  • Posted

Rose, is the pain down the outside of you thigh and into your calf?  I had an irritated..."angry" as my physical therapist called it...IT band.  My pain came at 3 1/2 weeks....massage is what help this for me.  Needs to be rubbed up from knee....I could not reach it myself...so used a wooden rolling pin.  Rubbing hurts very much....but the relief after is totally worth it.  

Pam

• Posted

Hi Pam yes thats where the pain is and its worse when I lift my leg like when u walk or lift it to get onto the settee or into bed.Have been massaging the scar but will take your advice thank you so much
    • Posted

OH Rose...I understand....my pain meds did not touch that pain...learned to rub it in the shower...again....rub up...away from the knee.  This pain was worse than any other I had experienced.  Do you have someone that can take a lotion and rub your thigh...small tight circles up and away from your knee?  It hurts when it is rubbed...but feels so much better after.  Use whatever you have that is round and heavy to roll it yourself also.  If I remember correctly was about 4 or 5 days of rubbing and it eased.

rose I get it it is worse when you move...LOL.  Hopefully this will help.

pam

• Posted

Pam you are so right will try the rubbing today tho .the pain has shifted today to down my calf and into ankle. after a few hrs sleep I mustve rolled onto my side and when I straightened it the pain shot down into my ankle and couldnt walk.Its the place where it clicks thats the source of the pain.
  • Posted

oh dear, you really need to make phisio (PT we call in the states) a priority.  your symptoms sound like the normal healing process to me.  Correct Exercises are extremely important, lots of water, lots of rest, eat well and healthy.  If you read thru these forums, i think you will get a better idea of the "adventure of tkr".  Keep a good upper lip and sense of humor.  If your really concerned, also make an appt. with your doc.  god bless, best..... kathy p.

• Posted

Thank you I think I expect too much too soon! Will feel better when I finally get seen by physio but my surgery has been a pain, always a different GP etc and they told me as they know nothing about tkr theres no point in having an appointment! Ive had far more help and advice from people on this site

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.