Exercise?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey, I've been on here before, but a LONG time ago... (My friend used the pc and wiped everything off and I couldn't find the site again :S Anywho, I have a slipped disk and have done for about 2 years now, and the tiniest bit of exercise leaves me lying in bed for days... I was just wondering if anyone knew of an exercise to lose weight that doesn't hurt too much?

Thanks,

Rhi

PS Where's Jude and Gail?! xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

I'm here :lol: Things have just got busier now I'm not lying around since the op :lol:

The only exercises are really ones that strengthen your back more than anything else I would suggest. I've put on so much weight during the time I was having physio and then waiting for the op. I'm walking a lot more now and that's a good exercise too. What about swimming, gentle swimming I mean.

I'm surprised you haven't had more treatment in the last 2 years, seems a long time to have to suffer.

Love

Jude xxx

• Posted

Hey Jude, thanks for getting back - how are you?! You had the op? Wow, how'd it go? You lucky thing if it worked - they wouldn't even contemplate it for me. The back strengthening exercises don't do anything sad I did them and they didn't work at all. I can't walk - I walked around Rhyl sea life centre the other day and had to have 3 days off work because I couldn't move... And Around here swimming isn't that easy... whenever I have time to go it's full of kids and there's no room to swim sad Ah well, I'm just sick of having to say 'no' to things like going to the gym with my mates...

xx

• Posted

Hi hon

Yes I had the op on the 14th May so that was 6 weeks ago for me. I have to say it definitely worked for me so far. I'm off all medication and no pain like I had before. My back still aches and my leg/foot are crampy and numb but I can walk for quite a distance now. I know the numbness may take a while to go.

I'm sorry to hear that the back exercises didn't work. I find that when I do them when my back is aching, it seems to ease it quite a bit. As for swimming, have you not got a local gym with a swimming pool instead? Could the physio not refer you for hydrotherapy? Just an idea, it doesn't always work and the risk is that it might make it worse sad. What if you went to the gym and spoke to a trainer specifically about your problems, they might be experienced enough to work out an exercise regime for you?

Sorry, I'm running out of ideas. I wish you could get better and soon, it's just awful living with this isn't it?

Love and hugs

Jude xxx

• Posted

Hey, thanks for the advice smile I might try going to the gym. No harm in trying is there?

I'm really glad the op worked for you - God knows you've suffered long enough!!

Love Rhi xx

• Posted

Thanks Rhi and I wish you lots of luck in getting better, I hope you can find something that works for you :D

Love

Jude xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.