exercise...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, just thought I'd throw this out there. Whilst I appreciate not everyone can do this, I have been reminded today about the importance and impact of short but high intensity exercise. Doing 20 mins (or what you can) each day of exercises you would find on circuit training. I'm looking to implement this to see if it helps. 2 separate sources have told me that it can be more effective than the meds..just wondering if anyone else has found this..? Again I appreciate not everyone can do this type of exercise.. Also I have been reading a good book on the brain and anxiety if anyone wants the name send me a message..

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Totally agree. I used to be a football referee at a high level but got injured which meant i couldn't carry on. And that's when the depression stated for me. My bike has been dusted off and gonna start using it now as makes you feel a million times better.

• Posted

We find taking the dog down on the beach seems to help us, and of course Pax

Up here today it has been white with heavy frost and we were supposed to go on the beach, to cold for us and the dog, Pax would not get out the car.

B.

• Posted

Agree.  Releases endorphins which are good for you - laughter also releases them too biggrin  For me its dancing.  Started when I was recovering and I found I could 'lose' myself and forget all about 'it' when in class and feel good afterwards too.  Loved it so much I went on and trained as a dance teacher!!

I do yoga too - such a great feeling of relaxation afterwards.  Oooh walking too.

Let us know how you get on surprised

• Posted

I find its great.  You don't do vigorous exercises and get out of breath, but instead it focuses on strength and flexibility - is great for physical and mental wellbeing.  After a class I feel so deeply relaxed and get a sense of well being.

There's different types of yoga too.  

• Posted

I've always enjoyed fitness. However, my depression was such that, in spite of knowing how well I'd feel, I just couldn't get started. After about 2 weeks on Cita 10mg, I saw the fist opening to my start. I found even 5 minutes on the elliptical grueling. But, I started going to bed earlier so I could get up earlier. I broke down and signed on for Spotify premium so I could control the music content- this was crucial for me. I listened to music that made me happy, not those "workout playlists". I found that the meds made me sweat profusely, so I used that to my advantage. At about 7 weeks, I'm up to 25-30 min of cardio - I hit "runner's high" at about 15 minutes now (sometimes sooner if I listen to one of my favorite comedy podcasts), then I do about 15 min for crunches and light weights/high rep for my upper body. I quit caffeine (former espresso addict) and consequently the high sugar content in my diet - also cut one my guilty pleasures, fresh orange juice (high sugar content) and now eat the actual fruit instead. Cut salt and increased greens, too. I've lost about 12 pounds so far with my eye on more, but more importantly, on healthy eating. I'm focused on the exercise, and keep that as my "prize". I hope to wean off Cita at some point, but, I refuse to let that overtake my thoughts and wil continue to take it one day at a time. Other things that helped me were (and contiune to do so): essential oils - lavender to relax and peppermint to enegize. Yoga is great, too. I practice at home, after my cardio. I also try to get a therapeudic massage as often as I can. Citalopram has been pivotal in getting on the right track!

• Posted

Tim,

I have always been one to exercise but let it get away from me due to work. After getting the severe anxiety and depression I started on celexa. I also started to work out again and it greatly improved my mood. I ended up Injuring myself a few weeks ago and have had to stop going to the gym and it has negatively effected my mood.

• Posted

I would normally go 4-6 times a week depending what was going on. I would usually do weight training and wouldn't do much circuit style training.

• Posted

Do you all find that exercise helps straight away or that it takes time for your body to receive benefit in regards the feel better factor ? Just I have done some this morning and I did feel bit better but as the days gone on I'm feeling it again.. does it need to be kept up to feel increased benefits.. maybe I'm expecting too much..

• Posted

I think what helped me feel more positive was seeing results. It made me feel better and I think for me it was an hour and a half where I kind of got my mind off of things and let me focus on something else other than my own thoughts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.