exercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

51 years old...overweight and don't move around much...wanting to start using a real bike but so out of shape...suggestions of what type/kind?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your age, overweight, unfit condition is something you need to be careful with. I would recommend a realistic idea of how unfit you are, and a slower and steadier improvement than you are contemplating at the moment.

For starters, equip yourself with simple health-monitoring equipment - at least a blood-pressure tester, and a blood-oxygen monitor. Both of these are pretty inexpensive, but enable you to measure your current condition and see how your improvement rewards you, whilst at the same time avoiding over-stressing yourself.

Then rather than starting with a bicycle, I would first purchase an aerobic stepper - that is simply a plastic step with usually three adjustable heights. These are what a heart-attck survivor starts on in a hospital setting, and actually give you more of a workout that you can imagine. Once you can just step on and off that for three minutes non-stop, your heart rate will be about 120 beats and you will be breathing hard with aching legs.

All three simple devices for an expenditure about one-tenth of a sports bicycle, and you will soon find out in your own home, how unfit you are, and very important, if you have the resolution to continue to improve, because if you have not, a bicycle is just a waste of time and money.

• Posted

Pulmonary Rehabilitation your best bet, ask your GP for a referral:

• Posted

Hey SheldonsMommy.  Your very young.  I would suggest that before you purchase a bike you go a a very clean and sanitary gym, (carry your own gloves and sterile wipes), get on a stationery bike and begin to pedal.  You will not know what you are capable of doing before you get started.  This way, you can program the bike to go at your pace until you build up some strength.  If they have a pool or you have one, I would also suggest that you do some underwater swimming to build your lung power and improve your overall FEV scores.  If you have COPD, which is one question I did not ask.  Hope this helps.  But for me buiying one would be futile until you know what it is you need and a sales person is not going to be honest with you, they are in it for the sale.  So get yourself up and get to a gym.  Everyone has to start someplace.  Just stay out of crowds....Best of luck. Breathless.

• Posted

Ty for your feedback...i have done the gym many times before and i become very bored...i did stop at a local store where i live...they have been in business for a lomg time...explained the situation to them...told them i would not be spending $500 on a bike...they had the perfect bike for me...very light with omly 7 gears...called a comfort bike...built for just enjoying the ride...the pedals sit further forward than a regular bike...tried it oit and liked it...rode it today for the first time...only made it just over a km but i did it...and yes my diagnosis is copd
  • Posted

I just went up and read what another responder had said to you.   I concur with their (gbhall) says about getting things in the right order before wasting your money.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.