Exercise

Posted , 8 users are following.

Before Ménière’s disease I was an active runner. Since my last attack I’ve been constantly dizzy, even on mild days I feel like walking is a chore. I’m starting to gain weight and I feel so inactive. Has anyone discovered exercise to do that helps? I can’t bend down or do anything too active.

Look forward to some help!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have always exercised 3-4 times a week, usually aerobic exercise, but now I’m finding that moving my head about makes me dizzy and I haven’t done as much. To compensate I try to do as much walking as I can. I know this probably isn’t enough when you are used to running, but at least you can do it without bringing on an attack.
  • Posted

Don't give up, Ito!  Remember the disease can vary in intensity so your dizziness now may be something that eventually dies down if you give it time.  Have you been reducing your salt intake?  And what medications are you taking to help reduce the attacks? 

Also, have you gone to vestibular rehab to see if you have eppv?  That has helped for some people.

• Posted

Hi Ito,

I’m sorry to hear about your condition. Like you, I’m an avid athlete except most of my time is spent on a bike. There are benefits that come from riding a bike, but with a condition like MM it does change things. So I do my aerobic and anaerobic training on my bike 3-4 times a week in the garage using videos. I have not had an episode on the bike—I actually believe the exercise helps alleviate the pressure in the ear. What have you done to manage the disease? Are you taking any medication? There are a number of ways to tackle the disease as you’ll come to find out.

• Posted

Hi Ito,

Vestibular rehab and balance retraining really did help me get back into exercising after I lost the ability early on, after a particularly bad episode. 

Wishing you the best,

J-

• Posted

I was a runner also 6miles a day 13.1's in my book etc.....it is a chore but press on I altered y diet as I gained weight as well....gone are the days of eating whatever I wanted just to run it off.....I can do 20-30 min ontradmill....with the treadmill if I get dizzy I can grab the bars and slow to a fast walk if need be...you must keep your metabolismlism u wth this disease also a stationary bike.......sometimes I have to try and not move my head much...I also find that outdoors is actually easier to keep my balance once I got over the fear of it....good luck to you.....have u gone to an ent?......

• Posted

I have always played sport and hate being inactive. I have continued playing squash and riding when not under attack. I also do Pilates which was challenging when the vertigo first started but I carried on and I eventually adjusted to my new normal. I also did simple balance exercises each morning to try and reset myself for the day. Standing on one leg with eyes shut in various poses. It’s amazing how quickly the vestibular system learns. However it’s not pleasant sometimes and I never put myself or the horse at risk and running on roads would obviously be a bad idea until you feel balanced again. Could you have access to a treadmill? Maybe hire one and put it in your garage or spare room?  This was always my backup plan if I couldn’t get my symptoms under control. What about a few sessions with a personal trainer to get a routine going at home? I know how exercise can lift depression and there’s nothing quite like gaining weight to cause it!  Stay positive and good luck. 
  • Posted

For me Balance retraining/ vestibular rehab whatever you would like to call it, is very important to stop/reduce the dizziness and other vertigo issues.  The affects did not materialise for months if not a year. Betahistine, Exercise and those specific exercise for vertigo played an important part to stabilise menieres for me. I do once or twice a day depending on time and if I feel uneasy but at least once.  I start each morning with balance exercise.  First of all balance on one leg (each leg) then head movements then some other yoga/breathing exercise. I use a timer .  I swim three times a week and walk 20 miles at least once a week.  I haven't looked back but know the unpredictable nature of this issue.  So as far as I am concerned exercise is top of the list for menieres or any vertigo related problem.  The exercises are trying to begin with good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.