Exercise

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi does anyone know where I can go other than the MK hospital for hydrotherapy as I want to learn the excercises so that I can do them in my local community pool.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Search for hypnotherapy in your area and I am sure you will find local professionals for it. Although I do not endorse it but I know some people who benefitted from it.

• Posted

hydrotherapy near me .  type that into google.   The main difference in hydrotherapy vs a standard pool is the increase in temperature. A hydrotherapy pool is heated to around 35 degrees Celsius. This allows for the patient to fully relax (and not tense up in cold water), promotes pain relief and encourages circulation.

Many land based exercises can be adapted to use in the water. Walking in a pool is easier on the joints due to the buoyancy Some state of the art facilities may even have underwater treadmills! Other exercises such as squats and lunges are easier too.

One method of hydrotherapy is known as the Bad Ragaz Ring Method. It is a method of muscle re-education where the patient is floated and specific patterns of resistance, endurance, elongation, relaxation, range of motion, and tonal reduction are used.

All exercises can be progressed by increasing the speed of the movement or the turbulence of the water. Other methods of increasing difficulty include increasing surface area. This can be achieved for example by holding something wide in the hand (such as a racket or bat) when moving it through the water.

The buoyancy of the water can be used as either a tool to assist movement or to increase the difficulty of an exercise. For example, when exercising the shoulder, the water can be used to help in lifting the arm upwards from by the side. However, it will provide resistance against pushing the arm back down. This resistance can be increased further by attaching a float to the arm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.