Exercise

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks. I was diagnosed with multiple PEs in my lungs about a month ago and prescribed Apixaban.

I am 52 but have always been relatively fit - I completed the National Three Peaks last year for example and am a kid's football coach.

I am now out of breath all the time and although the DVT say I can start exercising (and try not to cut myself!) I am a bit cautious and not really sure what I should be trying to do. I have always pushed myself in the past.

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts on what fitness regime I should try and establish, please?

Thank you in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Walking is always good but I wouldn't suggest to much active sports gear if falling and cutting yourself or hitting your head and bleeding internally. Do they know what caused yours?

• Posted

Hi Darren,

I found light exercise a help and was encouraged to do so by the pulmonologist. He did say to not push too hard and rest when your body signals it is needed. 

Probably not what you want to hear, but it was well over 6 months before I could walk any distance.

Warm, dry weather helps a lot with the breathing, so you are coming in to the right seasons. You should find slow but steady progress over the next few weeks/months (speed depending on size and number if clots).

Hope that helps.

Peter

• Posted

Hello, I have multiple blood clots and feel my fitness levels have really dropped, spoke to my doctor who advised to keep active but also plenty of rest!! I would love to go to the gym maybe couple times a week but feel physically I am not ready for this!! They recommend fitness is good for you as it pumps the blood around quickly which is good for blood clots and helps dissolve them, I’m guessing it’s what you and your body feel comfortable with, I hope this is a little help to you 😉😉😉

• Posted

Welcome, it's no fun but in my opinion I would just listen to your body. you'll know when to stop you just have to pay more attention to how you feel. my blessings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.