exercise

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have a question-I was wondering if anyone else with Frozen shoulder-if when  They do exercises from the physical therapist-if it aggravates their shoulder and makes it worse after exercising.It seems that any time I do my exercises my shoulder has more pain.Thank You

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

There is a recipe for Turmeric tea. Turmeric helps lessen inflammation and promotes sleep (which is also impossible with frozen shoulder as it seems to get worse at bedtime). I don't know if it worked on the inflammation, but it was soothing.

I really just thin PT (pain and torture) is just that. Frozen shoulder has to run its course. Cortisone under xray is the only thing that helped me.

• Posted

I just posted about this. I had aggressive PT and I really believe it made my condition worse.
  • Posted

I totally believe in letting nature takes its course.  It is a rough disease to power through but 7 months into this I do have lots more better days than bad ones like when it started.  I would like to know the gentle exercises being done so maybe I can try that.  Anybody have any ideas on this they would like to share.
    • Posted

You can read my story up above...I JUST got back to do gentle stretches and I do the gravity one - let your arm hang and do circles and using a dishtowel, I slide my arm across the table. Nothing more strenuous than that. I have found out the HARD way with FS best to let nature take its course (at least for me).
  • Posted

Just got diagnosed with the dreaded frozen shoulder, after months of waiting and trying to get on with life, did some PT way back but asked for a referral back to Dr as I said they didn't know what they were doing as pain immense. been working away so at least the wife gets a break from me waking up in the night cursing..Saw a Ortho yesterday looks like I will get the sterile water injection in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed...cheesygrin

• Posted

Steroid injection helped me-I have never heard of the sterile water injection.I had a steroid  injection at the very beginning of this-7 months ago and I was in Horrific pain and it helped so much!
  • Posted

PS. forgot to ask what you are all doing for pain relief. I'm on 3x 15mg Codeine + to paracetamol every 5 hrs but would like to get off them if I can

• Posted

Ha -My DR. does not believe in pain meds-other than steroids or an injection-probably a good thing but in the middle of the night-I curse him! I use ice packs a lot and alleve-it is the ice that saves me! I see where quite a few are on pain medication-it is not an option for me with my DR.
  • Posted

Once I was diagnosed with two frozen shoulders in March this year my doctor and physio said there was no point in trying any exercises involving the shoulders. The general diagnosis is they will thaw out in a year to 18 months. Although some may take longer. I started running again in June. Beginning with 20min three times a week and building up to 40min twice a week and longer run up to 60min on weekend. I do 10km runs so entered run for September 2 to keep me motivated. Shoulders and neck get a bit sore as I cant stretch anything up there. Also, I get some nerve pain down my arms and elbow joint sometimes. But it is great to be out running. My tuesday and thursday runs are at 6.30pm at our local football club where I have to drop my son off for training anyway. Lights are on, people are outdoors keeping fit and at 52 it gives me a bit of a lift! So my thoughts are stay away from direct stretching of the shoulder and arm but keep other exercise going. Hope all goes well and good luck.
  • Posted

My orthopedic surgeon didn’t necessarily recommend PT, but I asked for it based on the advice of a coworker who said it was extremely helpful for her when living through frozen shoulder. My therapist doesn’t believe in “pushing through pain” and she does a lot with massage to loosen all the muscles that are so tight and knotted (literally crunchy) due to overuse. I’ve been compensating for the fact that my shoulder is immobile for months. I think you have to have the right therapist, and you have to go in knowing that the goal is more about preservation of what you do have and reducing discomfort and less about curing the frozen shoulder joint. Just my two cents. smile
    • Posted

All I know is this-since I quit exercising-I am not constantly off and on ice packs 24hours a day 7 days a week-I have not had to use the ice since I quit.My shoulder was keeping me up at night aching.I am like -I am just gonna ride it out-It heals on its own just takes time-Why suffer with pain every day if it really is not going to speed up the process.I feel much better without the exercises! 
  • Posted

I suffered with frozen shoulder for over a year. Physical therapy was so painful and didn't seem to do any good. Harvard graduate, Andrew Weil, M.D., is a world-renowned leader and pioneer in the field of integrative medicine. He recommends DMSO, dimethyl sulfoxide, which is oil from a tree. When your shoulder freezes scar tissue behind to develop making it impossible to have full range of motion. Because the shoulder is inflamed it pushes against the brachial nerve that runs down the arm resulting in terrible pain. The mechanism in DMSO gel is that it breaks down the scar tissue. You can get it at any health store or Amazon for around $16. You want 99.99% pure. This product is also used on horses where they would be able to use a less pure form if DMSO. Do a search on the internet for "Dr. Andrew Weil frozen shoulder" . You only use it for 9 days then the body can heal it from there. My doctor was absolutely schocked when he saw how I had full range of motion from the visit before when it was completely frozen. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi new to this as diagnosed a few days ago, at moment i do physIo exercises every day and I have to say it's agony. I told my wife that I could see it being possibly unbearable if it got worse. I was told to use something like a walking stick to move my arm passively to the limit. It seems to help a little bit but then next day it's back to the same active limit but I have a little more passive movement. Coaching was given was that this would be to try and limit the loss of movement. Do you get better and worse days in the early stages or is it one way and/or sudden?

• Posted

Hi Jon, I had 4 months of agony, had the cortisone injection & sterile water injection to expand the joint 4 weeks ago, pain is almost gone now, still limited movement but doing the walking stick excesizes 4 times daily not passed 50% mobilty, but feel ive got my life back. Can now get the ticket out of the car park machine..treatment is a must. B

• Posted

Ann, I am quite sure I used an ointment with DMO in it (I remember it was based from tree oils) among my many ointments/creams I tried. I will go find it and give it another try, I respect Dr. Weil a lot. As I wrote earlier, the ONLY thing that has consistently helped me is TIME and rest. PT HURT so badly and made me worse. Two cortisone shots did nothing. Acupuncture - nothing. Massage therapy gave me some relief but short lived -hours). All the exercises at home hurt do badly and made it worse. The TENS unit gave me some temporary relief some times. Once I stopped everything last February (after 7 months of trying everything) I started to heal, Now no pain unless I overdo it and ROM is gradually getting back. I was able to put my hair in a back ponytail for the first time in 14 months today!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.