Exercise after double inguinal hernia surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I posted on here asking for some advice before my surgery. I had it on 21st March through NHS. It was double inguinal hernia repair by keyhole with mesh.

Left side was ok, but surgeon said of the right side 'big, twisted and attached to other things. Difficult op. Surprised you've been walking'. That was a bit scary!! I had extra local anaesthetic on the right side for the extra work they did and had problems with the general anaesthetic. I was sick several times after the op and had to have 3 injections (not sure what they were) to stop it. A few days after the op I had really bad chest pains and was taken to hospital. Lots of tests, I was fine and told it was an after effect of the surgery. Apart from that recovery has gone ok. Haven't had much pain for the past week (none at the moment) and I've started walking 20-30 minutes a day.

My question is about exercise and what I should be doing. I haven't done any meaningful exercise since mid January due to the hernia and extremely little since the op. I'm a tennis player and ideally looking to get back to that in the next few months.

What should I be doing now? How do I build it up? Should I be focussing on core work or avoiding that completely? I really have no idea so any advice would be great.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would ask the Dr. Glad you did well. I know the moment you said Mesh was inside you I began to see Plastic. and well once that is in you, no one can accurately predict what can happen or how your body will handle it. Everyone is different. So I would never want to take you down a bad road telling you to do something that should never have been suggested. So for that reason alone you should only consult a doctor on what you can or cant do. I am at 11 years and they will NOT take it out of me even though the hernia is now back and I am in constant pain. Its nothing to take lightly, NO ONE will remove this stuff once inside you unless you are about dead from it and even then I wont swear by it.
    • Posted

Hi Scott, sorry to hear about your problems. Did you have an issue straight away after your surgery or is it something that developed later? I don't know how I'd mention it to the surgeon. I don't have any follow up appointments or anything like that.

• Posted

OK, so the negative responses about mesh have been deleted. Does anyone have any ideas about my question? Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.