Exercise after hysterectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I’m 4wks post abdominal hysterectomy. All is well, feeling good! I was used to working out and running regularly prior to falling ill in May. I can walk comfortably for an hour at the moment but don’t want to push it. Has anyone returned to jogging or regular exercise after op that can offer any advice? I know there is internal healing going on so while I feel good I’m unsure as to what I can do safely... I see consultant in 2wks but have been told they are often very vague about giving advice with regards to running etc.. Anyone find swimming good? Haven’t tried it yet but been thinking about it 😊

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

You've had major surgery.  Surgeons aren't very wise in their recommendations to patients as to when they can resume "normal" physical activity.  My own doctor told me that I'd had major surgery, though my "bits" were removed vaginally.  It is not so much the external stitches as the internal ones, that can take up to 6 months or more to heal.  

There is so much bacterial contamination in a pool or hot tub, I wouldn't consider doing that for a very long time.  Unfortunately, some people, especially men, don't mind "taking a wee" in a pool.  Then there are the young children. If enough chlorine could be placed in a pool to eliminate contamination, one couldn't swim in it. I was advised not to take baths, either.   

• Posted

Thanks Lynda, I wasn’t advised not to take baths but after reading info on here I chose not to and I’m surprised it wasn’t mentioned when I was checked out of hospital. I’ve read about people swimming a few weeks after abdominal hysterectomy but as I can’t drive I can’t get to the pool and have also been concerned about picking up an infection so I’ll continue to err on the side of caution. Walking seems to agree with me at the mo so I’ll continue with that for now 😊

• Posted

I'm glad that you're erring on the side of caution.  The Japanese have the right idea as far as bathing.  First, they scrub themselves clean, rinse off thoroughly, then get into a very hot tub and soak.  

Regular bathing (to me) is like lying down in a soup of dirt and your own bacteria.  I haven't bathed in many many years. xx

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm 4 weeks and 2 days post hysterectomy.  I'm surprised that I'm still hurting on occasion to my umbilical and pelvic areas, though I am feeling way better than last week.  My doctor told me that increasing activity incrementally is key, while listening to your body's cues.  If something hurts, stop. I was able to do the exercise bike for about 30 minutes yesterday and was somewhat more sore after.  I'm definitely not planning to jog, because of the impact.  As Lynda20916 pointed out, we've had major surgery!  It's really hard for me to rest because I have a devotion to motion, but I don't want to overdo things that could result in hindering my recovery.  I think walking is fine.  I would definitely consult your doctor before swimming because of the possible risk of infection or irritation.  I hope this helps.  God bless you in your recovery.  

• Posted

Hi Toautumn, I believe it's too soon for exercise bike. VH heals faster than AH. But the difference is just 2 weeks.

Take things easy or you may risk a prolapse

• Posted

Thanks for your input, much appreciated 😊 I love the phrase ‘devotion to motion!’ I guess part of the healing process is patience and giving the body time to knit and heal internally. Just so much mixed info on web I was interested to hear from folk with personal experience. I do feel a dull ache in lower abdomen when hve been on my feet too long so I always rest when this kicks in. Best of luck with your recovery and your return to fitness and good health 

• Posted

DM do take it easy and don't be in such a hurry! Time flies and before you know it the waiting period will be over.

You can walk for now. But, please please no jogging. Not for at least 12 weeks.

You can also drive now. That shouldn't be a problem.

As far as swimming goes. Give it 8 weeks at least. And avoid sex for at least 8 weeks.

• Posted

DM do take it easy and don't be in such a hurry! Time flies and before you know it the waiting period will be over.

You can walk for now. But, please please no jogging. Not for at least 12 weeks.

You can also drive now. That shouldn't be a problem.

As far as swimming goes. Give it 8 weeks at least. And avoid sex for at least 8 weeks.

• Posted

Thanks Helen, yes, walking is fine for now and I’ve no intention of jogging, I was just wondering what other folk have experienced as it’s hard to gauge from some medical advice as it can be so general and I’ve come a long way so as much as I’d like to be active I definitely don’t want to risk a prolapse or anything else. I’m delighted the much waited for op is over. Onwards and upwards!!
  • Posted

Hi.hun

I was told nothing is the worst thing women could do for there pelvic floor especially after hysterectomy.

Our tissues and muscles are so weak it can take up to.a year to heal inside.

All that pounding of your organs can cause vaginal vault prolapse. I'd also recommend a pelvic floor physio after your post op chevk. I had my tvh and anterior repair in January and healed without a hitch. Xx

• Posted

I meant jogging,dam.spell check lo l
    • Posted

Totally, have been reading about dangers of pounding the pavements🙈 I reckon walking is the way to go for the time being 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.