Exercise after pulmonary embolism

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I have always been a runner, albeit not a very good one. However I managed in the last two years to snap my ACL, which ive had reconstructed, and have two DVT/ pulmonary embolisms. That slows you down! My recent PE was in January, and the breathlessness after lasted much longer than the previous one, and is still there if i walk upstairs or uphill. However i have had pulmonary hypertension ruled out on an echocardiogram, phew, , so have recently started an exercise programme. I'm jogging (careful on the knee still) for about half an hour a day. My running watch tells me that my training level is good, but my fitness is decreasing! my VO2 max, it says, has also gone down two points since i started exercising (its gone down 10 points since all this nonsense started two years ago) . This is a little depressing and I don't understand. Has anyone any ideas? the breathlessness i find less of a problem jogging than walking as i'm breathing faster and shallow, not even trying to take deep breaths like i would walking. Its not what I was hoping for which is a return to fitness, gradual if need be

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.