Exercise and Blood Donation

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I'm a 46 year old man from Eastern Europe. I had deep vein thrombosis in my leg 6 years ago and was cured of it by standard anti-coagulation therapy. Since then, I've been wearing compression stockings and taking baby aspirin daily, because of varicose veins.

It is my intention to start with some form of strength training (I've never exercised before but I guess it’s never too late) and to donate blood regularly, for further health improvement and possible anti-aging effects.

Should I be concerned about these activities that I'm planning to implement, given my specific condition? I've heard that squatting and lifting are not recommended for persons with varicose veins, and that blood donation is dangerous for people on aspirin. I asked doctors about it, but only got vague and contradictory answers.

Thank you very much for your answers and opinions.

Bob

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I can't answer this with any authority and really couldn't comment on blood donation however it is a good thing to do if you are suitable and in the UK you would be screened well before being allowed to donate. As regards exercise it has to be a good thing to do however start slowly mix weight training with cardio but keep everything gentle to start low weights with plenty of reps do not strain yourself and ensure you are breathing correctly whilst lifting weights keep cardio work to just walking uphill or gentle cycling to start basically take it slowly and build gradually I would suggest speaking to a personal trainer and explain your health issues they should be able to create a program to help you progress and of course healthy eating moderate alcohol and no smoking, good luck with it .

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply, m05.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.