exercise and diverticular disease

Posted , 5 users are following.

It may seem a silly question but I would like to get fitter - take up running - in my fifties and just wondered does exercise help with DD or make it worse?  Anyone out there exercises avidly?  I feel so depressed since my diagnosis - like my life is over!  I suppose this is a bit dramatic but anyone got advise on exercise?  

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

As long as GP clears you go for it, Do it when feeling ok and start very easy with som brisk walks at first.
  • Posted

I agree with Hydro to check with your GP but I would probably start with something gentle like yoga or pilates.  I have been exercising for years (I do bootcamp usually 3 times a week) but both times that I've had an episode I've given it a break for a month and when I return I only do what I know and feel I can do.  I build my strength back up slowly.  I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thanks Laura.  I thought of doing yoga but wondered if stretching would affect my bowel.  I know it probably seems silly to ask but I usually go to a dance class and given that up since i found out about DD because I was scared it would make it worse or bring it on.  I've tried looking for info on the net but nothing about DD and exercise.  if you have been doing it for years and you have DD then I guess its not going to make it worse?!  You must be very fit.  
  • Posted

We are told that exercise is good for us ,no matter what we suffer from.

How about a dog ????  Then you HAVE to exercise  EVERY day ' I just go to the woods and walk sedately . and watch the squirrels, or play footie with the dogs

that I have come to know ,and they know I am up for a kick about  

• Posted

Hi Patricia. Absolutely is does help. I had two very bad bouts of diverticulitis (Oct & Nov I thought I would never recover... But I did & it too me until March & the banana diet to do it ( I tried so many things to help I was desperate) Any way i had heard exercise helped & I had been on bed rest for the best part of 3 months & gained weight so I thought i would give it a go ( Im 54 ) I started the first week doing 20 mins aerobics's I had to push my self a little, but by the 3rd day It was good smile The next week I started doing 30 mins, Im now on my week 4 & are doing 40 mins session with 10 mins weights. It really does help. A few days I had had that ( pulling pain in my right side, )( but just started out gently & it soon went. I can feel my tummy muscles already getting really firm too smile

Bottom line.. It really does feel great now. It also gives me so much more energy. Go For It Girl smile & Good Luck!

• Posted

Thanks Buttonmum!  You made my day!  Especially because you are near my age - I thought the DD would stop me from doing anything.  smile
    • Posted

Thought I would cheer you up a bit more 

Iv'e been horse riding today, as I do most weeks, I'm a full blown 

D.D member, and I'm   74.  cool

• Posted

Thanks Jacqueline.  I am in awe of you!  You have definitely made me feel life is not over with DD.  My daughter is getting married abroad and I was worrying about going away too but you have convinced me I can still do all the things I use to.  biggrin
    • Posted

morning Patricia, lovely day. I'm a tad early because I am taking my aunt

83 to coast for a couple of days, of sea air and beach walking . I have a rather lively sports car,. so the drive will be the best part for me ,I love

driving Can't understand why you are so afraid of this Poxy disease ,It's

not terminal, just take care of your input. If you haven't tried

probioticc capsules from H&B ,I've  taken 2 a day for 8 months and

I am as Iused to no pain .Just a bit sad about no nuts ,and less vega. small price to pay.

So,stop worrying and get on with your life.and don't stress about it

AT ALL  AND No wedding cake 'cos of the fruit .I have foud chocolate

eclairs  mmmmmmm 

• Posted

Patricia. It can be really tough when you are having a bout/flair up, but when you get well just have the best life you can. I know how scarey it is believe me & Jacqueline... It sure can be fatal! I almost lost my bowels & nearly died 3 years ago with abscesses . This disease is no joke. We have to do what ever we can to stay well.

& You can eat nuts.. & Veggies.. Im a vegetarian. I do take psyllium husks when needed & probiotics every day. Its also important to eat at regular intervals through out the day. ( Bananas really help smile

Good luck

Mel x

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company/website names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi everyone, I've been away for a few days so apologies for not responding to anyone sooner.  I've been exercising for years doing bootcamp three times a week, almost week in/week out.  I'm just recovering from my 2nd episode (thankfully far less agressive than the 1st with no hospital visit) but have rested off exercise for a month each time.  I think you just have to build up your strength day by day.  I've also been taking probiotics and am also keeping physillium husks to hand for any difficult days but am back to eating all veggies (I'm vegetarian) but cutting out any high risk ones like onions and broccolli.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.