Exercise and kidney disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was wondering if there is someone who is still exercising and doing sports seriously despite the kidney disease. As I understand protein in your diet should be limited and creatinine levels might be higher if increased muscle mass.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure what you mean when you say doing sports seriously. You definitely can, and should, continue to exercise regularly even if you have CKD. 

There have only been two issues that have inhibited my exercise since developing CKD:

1. Extremely low blood pressure

2. Severe anemia

The anemia is treatable. For me that involves taking iron medication 3x a day and EPO injections as needed--about once a month right now. That keeps my hemoglobin between 10.6 and 11.6 and gives me enough FHSU effort to exercise daily.

I walk 2 mikes a day and do a 30-minute workout on my elliptical machine. In addition, during sori g, summer, and fall I ride my bike at least 5 days a week. I participate in Distance charity bike rides several times a year during spring, summer, and fall.

I expect to continue doing all of this when I have to begin dialysis. But I'm not sure I would be able to compete in formal sports competitions, track and field, etc. however, I was not ever able to do that with any real success so for me it's more about trying to take care of myself and feel as well as possible. 

Marj

• Posted

Hi Janis when I was on dialysis I sought advice from my renal doctor and was advised to carry on with what I was doing. That included swimming and cycling and was advised to do less running but more walking. I got a transplant just under 3 months ago and the same advice applies. Hope this helps somewhat and wish you well

Stephen

• Posted

I'm have no doubt that exercise improves circulation and is most beneficial to depleted kidneys. Protein is crucial part of your diet. Well being is the key.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.