Exercise BEFORE TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Robin and Jan have both mentioned that leg muscles can be weak before TKR so need to be built up after.  Some say weights are a good idea and some say not.  My own view is that since obesity raises the chance of wearing out knee joints early, then squats with weights do too, and I've read studies about deep squats frequently done, being a reason for knees wearing out BUT I do appreciate that legs have got to be strong to support those knees.  My hospital gave me exercises to do BEFORE the TKR to strengthen legs.  As Robin said, many people don't lead an active lifestyle before TKR because pain has limited them, so there is a weakness and it does sound a very good idea to reduce that weakness before the op.  I'm wondering if this is what helped me so much - as well as the hospital exercises I'd been doing the exercise bike for years, so legs were pretty strong at the time of the op.  Are all other hospitals stressing this point, or is pre-op condition something that gets neglected?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please tell me about the rubber band feeling in the knee after TKR. I am seven months recovery.
    • Posted

I had a band feeling around the upper thigh while that was healing Clara - for the first few weeks, but I've not got a band feeling around the knee at all.  I just haven't had that.  But we're all different!  Mine just feels normal now.  It stiffens VERY slightly if I sit with feet on the floor for a really  long time, but two steps after standing and it's back to normal.

• Posted

We also were given the exercises & told to do them BEFORE the op as well as after.

I couldn't lift my leg the first day after the op, but th 2nd I managed & by the time I was discharged I was dressing & putting my socks on myself unaided.

I agree Chris, I think strengthening the leg BEFORE is much more beneficial, am now trying to work on my left leg!!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Ah, good that you were told too and that you think it was helpful!  Full of admiration - I NEVER managed to get my compression stockings over my heels by myself LOL!  My husband got them over my heels right up to when I discarded them at 5 weeks LOL!

I've started working on my right leg now, too.  Just brought a memory back that I'd forgotten!  When I started with lifting straight legs I struggled to hold it for 8 seconds.  Now I do 30 and then put them down again - a HUGE difference.  I was thinking that the bike had given me a lot of strength there, but have been doing that for years now, so it was those straight leg lifts that made so much difference there!  Waiting for my letter now......  Did you phone the hospital on Wednesday?  I suddenly thought of that as I went to bed last night and meant to have asked you first thing this morning.  Any progress with yours?

• Posted

Yes I phoned. Still nothing until October, but I will keep on & the lady said this time of year there are usually cancellations. Fingers crossed!

XX

• Posted

Yes, I'd think this IS a good time of year for cancellations - so yes, my fingers crossed for you too!  Worth phoning from time to time as well:-)))))

• Posted

My orthopedic surgeon ordered 4 to 6 weeks of PT before my TKR also. He wanted my both my legs/knees as strong as possible before surgery, even though I was only having my left knee replaced. I think you benefit from this since you are in a better way strength wise, when you do start PT after your surgery.
    • Posted

This is all very encouraging that so many had exercises BEFORE surgery.  I think it's really good!  It must put us in a better place for recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.