exercise bikes

Posted , 10 users are following.

has anyone out there tried going on an exercise bike, if so does it help, and how  long a setion do you do , and how often,

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I used a stationary bike at 4 months bilateral TKRs, post op, first pedalling in reverse because it was easier than pedalling forwards was. I used the bike for approximately 10 minutes every few days and gradually built up to 20-30 mins most days. I could not rotate the pedals forwards until 5 months post op.
    • Posted

thanks for that lyn, i will contact my phsio, but sounds that it could help.
    • Posted

lyn, spoke to my phsio, highly recommeds it, so i have ordered one, cheers lyn
  • Posted

And yes, it helped me regain muscle tone and mobility.
  • Posted

HI Peter.

Its 5 weeks since my opp.A friend has a stationery bike i could use.

However I am reluctant to try without thd Physio go ahead,

Hospital have mentioned the cost of a knee replac ement is $46,000 NZ.

I have physio tomorrow and will be asking same question. L

• Posted

i went to physio and was doing exercises including exercise bike it helped but only did it for 5 mins and once a week but was doing my exercises they give me to do in the hospital which i do everyday 5 times a day and ice as well, if you are in pain dont exercise to much as it could make you worse i know they say no pain no gain but there are limits. do what you comfortable with. max
  • Posted

Hi Peter,

i had bilateral tkr’s and while in hospital for the week after op, they got me down to rehab and made me cycle for 2 kms, settling on a chair and using just the foot peddled cycle.  I bought one for home and used it every morning for 10 minutes, before getting out of bed properly in the mornings.  I’m not sure how this compares to normal exercise bikes but the peddles went all the way round.  Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Sue x

• Posted

Hi

I have been using my bike since week 5 after TKR op peddling backwards for first 5days then was able to peddle forwards after week 6. My physio put me on the bike in the beginning and suggested l do it for 5mins for a start and then try to increase the time. I am now in week 10 and cycle for 15 mins 3 times a day after doing warm up exercises. 

My knee is still stiff and a bit swollen and it still aches sometimes but l think l am progressing , l went through the night last night with out any pain meds also.

Hope you can progress.

• Posted

Hi

I have been using my bike since week 5 after TKR op peddling backwards for first 5days then was able to peddle forwards after week 6. My physio put me on the bike in the beginning and suggested l do it for 5mins for a start and then try to increase the time. I am now in week 10 and cycle for 15 mins 3 times a day after doing warm up exercises. 

My knee is still stiff and a bit swollen and it still aches sometimes but l think l am progressing , l went through the night last night with out any pain meds also.

Hope you can progress.

• Posted

PT has me on the bike for 10 minutes each visit and I go to the gym on the other days and also do 10 minutes

It helps and loosens the knee

• Posted

Our Physios recommend it, but 4 weeks in, I can't climb on it yet !. I also have an electric bike and they said once I was really able on exercise bike then electric bike would be good with the assistance on hills.

• Posted

Yes,  I bought a recumbent bicycle from Amazon for $148. My Home PT adjusted it for me and started me out with just 5 mins shortly after surgery. Really helped my bend. I am 8 months out and still use it daily for up to an hour. Keeps my knee from getting stiff. I can read or watch TV while using it. The recumbent bike is better for my back and hips too. Worth every penny. 
  • Posted

While in physical therapy I did exercise bike for 15-20 minutes it really did help with the tightness and stiffness of my knee the it's a good exercise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.