Exercise causing MD?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Background: I have had MD for 30 years, which up until last year meant 0-2 attacks a year that would come out of nowhere, last for 24 hours and then I would be fine until next attack. Sought treatment but was told there wasn't much to do other than a low sodium diet, which seemed like a lot of trouble to follow for only 0-2 attacks per year.

Four months ago I started to have low level dizziness lasting for days at a time. It will gradually diminish to a very low level, enough that I feel comfortable exercising. While I exercise, I feel fine. But 6-8 hours later I will feel pressure in my left ear and the dizziness will return for several days. This dizziness is much more mild than my 24 hour hour attacks--instead of being bedridden I can do light activity but anything more will be uncomfortable. After several days of light activity, the dizziness will diminish again to very low levels. Got a steroid shot a month ago but that has not changed anything--would really like to fins a way to return to exercising. Based on research (and reading this board) I think next step is to try Betahistine and/or going on low sodium diet.

My biggest question is: has anyone here seen their MD flare up several hours after exercise like this? If so, is there anything you can share about what you have learned or how you have responded?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

I have had 14 vertigo episodes over the past 7 years. For no known reason, I will gradually begin to notice my left ear feeling full (endolymphatic or cochlear hydrops) with accompanying hypersensitivty to sound, and of course ever present tinnitus, and then eventually after a week or so of worsening pressure and fullness, i will have a vertigo attack as the hydrops releases or bursts, and my hearing then suddenly improves, but i won't be able to stand up for several hours until the vertigo passes. This is essentially the reverse of classic Menniere's disease. It is called Lermoyez Syndrome.

But to speak to your question, my episodes have occurred at all different times. The most frequent circumstance for when i have an episode has been a couple of hours after coming in from working in the heat, and i am cooling down and resting. but this occurs only if i have been experiencing the ear fullness for a while. i have never had it happen when i am working or exercising. my thoughts would be that since blood pressure rises during exercise, that it is the corresponding drop in bp that precedes the vertigous episode. or maybe more fluid accumulates in the ear at that time as your body re-hydrates, and causes the episode. but my attacks have happened in the morning, at night, afternoon, i have even woke up from sleep and tried to get out of bed and found i had vertigo and no balance. obviously there are many different situations that lead to vertigo, some perhaps more migraine related. i am surprised you haven't tried a low sodium diet if you've dealt with this for 30 years. not that i have any proof it would help. i do follow low sodium diet. have you tried a diuretic? i would do that, but it seems somewhat counterproductive to me to treat with diuretics. on one hand you're encouraged to drink a lot of water, but on the other hand you're dehydrating yourself with the diuretic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.