exercise for Osteoporosis

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have Osteoporosis of spine and a wedge fracture.  I would like to do some exercises to strenghen my back to prevent it becoming more bent. Who would be the best person to see about this? I was thinking about seeing an osteopath.

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,  I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis some 15yrs ago,i am now 68yrs and have a compression fracture of t7 vertebrae which occured some 9 weeks ago by just turning in bed.I am wondering if anyone has any idea on the time span for recovery as i'm still finding it very painful and my mobility is impaired  more than i anticipated.                                                                                                                              

• Posted

Hi Diane! Are you taking any of the drugs for osteoporosis?

Also, do you know your tscores?

So sorry about your fracture. Hard to credit one can break their back by turning over in bed!

I cannot help you with knowledge of how long the fracture will take to hea? Do they tape it? I guess you are on pain killers.

Can you ask your GP?

• Posted

Mine take about 3 months but a thoracic fracture is very painful. Have you not been on any medication? Can only suggest regular pain relief, anti inflammatories, and don't do too much. I usually sleep sitting up when it's a thoracic one only because it's the most comfortable position I can find. It will get better just so tiresome. Take care

• Posted

Been on AA for years,used to take calcium and vitD but affected my stomach badly as have IBS so had to stop that.I don't know my t scoes as not hat a Dexa for 7years,awaiting app for one.They didn't tape it i'm on codeine phosphate at mo.

• Posted

Thanks for that,i am on pain relief but its not very effective.i had to sleep sitting up but at least i can now lie down although it's uncomfortable.Afraid the Osteo is the legacy my late mother left myself and my sister,my sister is in her eighties and has injections for it,will discuss it with gp after Dexa scan.

• Posted

I had injections. They are very good. Pain relief varies from paracetamol, co codamol, tramadol to oromoph (morphine). Taken with anti inflammatory such as Diclofenac. Taken regularly very four hours (drugs can be mixed but discuss that with your doctor. Pleased you able to lie down now, that shows well on the mend. Bowen therapy has helped me but it can't be too intense. When bad I do a little and sit, do a little and sit! Also have a muscle relaxant at night which is marvellous and I go to bed early to allow my body to non weight bear and relax when able to lie down again. If can think of anything else that might be helpful will let you know. Keep cheerful it will get better

• Posted

Also you shouldn't be on same osteo drug for too long. You may need something to line yr stomach. Think a big chat to yr doctor is required and a reassessment. If necessary a referral to rheumatologist too but GPs are pretty clued up about it these days.

• Posted

Thankyou for your help.I was on codydramol for pain(osteoarthritis) before the fracture.My gp has been pretty useless to be honest,on the day the fracture occured i rang docs in extreme pain and coul hardly walk,that was a monday and the doc didn't come to see me till the friday,he phoned for an ambulance then,he had sent the nurses in on couple of days but all they could do was make me tea and toast.I've had no follow up or advice whatsoever since.

• Posted

How awful! You had a fracture even though you took the drugs!

Good that you are finding out your tscores as you need to know them and whether the fracture was due to worsened osteoporosis or even the drug that is supposed to prevent fractures.

Some say that the drugs make the bones more brittle by not replacing old bone and rather letting it stay and become brittle. 

By having a bone scan you can make a more informed choice.

Maybe you could have the vitamin K2 and the D3 at least. Also, the magnesium is supposed to be helpful.

Do lots of reading up so you are well armed when next you see your doctor.

I too have osteoarthritis in the back along with the osteoporosis.

All the best.

• Posted

Thankyou Kathleen.Would think i will be waiting months for the bone scan,had to wait 5 days for doc to visit when fracture occured although i have to admit i didn't think it was a fracture just knew i was in agony.The consultant at hosp called it a spontaneous fracture,sneezing or coughing can cause it strangely enough.Definitely need some sort of plan of action for the future.

• Posted

Been on that for years Faith,i do have Omeprazole too.I'm afraid my GPs aren't too good with long term care,they're quick to refer you but then no follow up care,was sent for physio years ago but no follow up care after that finished.

• Posted

Funny you should mention sneezing! I had a big sneeze followed by a second one and I thought I had broken my back it hurt so much. My GP ordered an X-ray and what was discovered was that I had ruptured two discs but not broken any bones which was was great considering my t score of 4.3. Now when I sneeze I open my mouth and throw my head back so it goes out not inwards. 

Anyway, hope you can get your tscores soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.