exercise for Osteoporosis

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have Osteoporosis of spine and a wedge fracture.  I would like to do some exercises to strenghen my back to prevent it becoming more bent. Who would be the best person to see about this? I was thinking about seeing an osteopath.

3 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my earlier comments about exercise.  I think I will start with a visit to a physio.  I am 63, reasonably fit and am sure with the right exercises I can improve.  Thank you all once again.
  • Posted

The bentness is caused by scoliosis which ranges from very mild to severe.

I have been diagnosed with mild scoliosis. Apparently, half the population has mild scoliosis so it is not too much of a worry at present for me.

I think exercise is individual as the whole person needs to be considered.

In my case, I am limited to mainly pool exercises.

I have severe lumbar degeneration as my sacroiliac is also affected and I have two herniated discs. I use a wheeled walker.

Janet, I wish you well and success in your endeavours with exercise. 

• Posted

Hello Kathleen, It's nice to find you still active and posting. I do so agree with you that exercise is what the individual can manage and feels comfortable doing. It is a trifle unfortunate that the chance of beating osteoporosis is somewhat dependent upon the quality of the exercise that you are able to carry out. I know that the the books tell us that any exercise is better than none, but if you haven't actually found the cause of your loss of bone density then your efforts may be in vain if you are relying on exercise to complement your supplements. That seems to be something that the purveyors of AA and the like, don't actually consider. It is probable that all methods of cure would be more successful if the cause of the problem was addressed before the doctors tried to force their evil potions on us.

It took me around two months of AA before I was able to track down my OP cause and even then it was left to me to change my own medication to compensate for an age related reduction in hormone levels and then carry on down the natural route.

Apologies for the rant but if my Dr. had got his self into gear, I would never have got past osteopenia. I'm still somewhat peeved about it.

Aristotle.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, My GP has told me that I also have a curved spine and arthritis so my 'round back' is probably down to this rather than the osteoporosis as you say. My problem is not severe but I want  to do my best to keep my back strong and I will be seeing a good physio. soon. Thank you for your comments 

• Posted

I don't blame you for being peeved!

I am still around. I think everyone has gone quiet. I guess there is a limit to where you can go with this and new ideas or discussions dry up a bit.

I have had visitors as well and more next week. Just family but it gets hectic.

Even if you are seated a lot and I am I have heard that fidgeting and stretching is still good to do. Just keep moving basically!

• Posted

I kow your question is to Aristotle but when I was diagnosed my doctor gave me an information pack which gave a list of likely causes.  In my case I had a hysterectomy at 44 and my mother has osteoporosis.  Also it can be a result of drinking more than 3/4 units of alchohol a day.
    • Posted

Arthritis in the back can be very severe and is enough to make some people disabled.

The discs can be much of the problem as well and send nerves down into the legs or sacroiliac like in my case.

Mine has been described as severe unfortunately!

• Posted

Hi Faith,

I had my suspicions because I was already on a supplement to boost my testosterone level (I'm 71 and initially guessed that the level wasn't what it should be). I requested a blood test with other things included since it was around time for my C-V checkup and when the results came in, the levels of testosterone were the same as when I began the supplemental dose in 1996. The doctor wasn't really interested because the level was just inside the lower limit, but having been there, I went my own way and checked with the dexascan people who agreed that the probability of anything else causing the problem was remote and I now have a sheet placing the cause as low androgen level. This is the same sheet that went to the doctor's surgery and he chose to do nothing about it. Well since the supplement is a daily morning application of gel to the shoulders or belly, it was easy to do an extra evening application one day out of seven which is a 14.2% increase in medication. I have found that I have 'perked up' and am enjoying life more again so I guess that the level had reduced gradually and I hadn't really noticed although I had been fairly tired, particularly in the afternoon. That has now ceased so while I can't be 100% certain that I got it right, the probability is high in my estimation, that I am on the right track. I suppose that I should go and request a further blood test but I believe that in these days of money comes first, there would be conflict and I don't need the stress. I also know my own body and once alerted, I shall be on the lookout for any further problems in this field.

Regards

Aristotle

• Posted

Hi Janet,

It sounds as though you have a good doctor, mine gave me nothing apart from a prescription for AA and an admonishment that I need to follow orders precisely or else! I rarely drink so I don't have a problem in that regard and I even mostly avoid caffiene. I also get lots of good exercise and I feel fairly fit. It's easy to see why this is considered to be a hidden killer, there is very little way to tell that you have OP until you fracture a bone. I only got the initial scan because my daughter was found to have OP, unlucky for her but I'm hoping to benefit.

I'm guessing that you have a similar hormone problem and can only offer sympathy and wish you luck. If you haven't followed the posts you wouldn't have known that I'm one of the members following the natural route and am still researching all the myriads of supplements required to ensure I have those necessary to aid bone regeneration. Things are going well.

Kind Regards

Aristotle.

• Posted

I don't know if you have ever tried this, but in case you are interested ....  A neighbour of mine had become very bent over from osteoporosis.  But I used to see her out doing a bit olight yardwork, raking leaves mostly, never crouched down weeding, nor using any machinery.  But just lately I have seen her at events with two poles, the Nordic walking style, although they don't look quite like mine.  She is still shrunken in height, but she is standing nearly straight, and when I asked her about it she said the pole had really helped her.  I think she must be the 80-year-old my insgtructor mentioned in class, as a poster child for how Nordic walking can help.  He said she can't use the poles the way a healthier person can, but she is improving all the time.  He seemed immensely proud of her, and impressed by her determination.  Obviously it is something that she has been working on for a while, but the improvement is apparent to anyone who hadn't seen her for a few months!

• Posted

Hi Kathleen and Aristotle, I confess to unfollowing a couple of the really long threads....  I do keep an eye on notifications and contribute to the shorter threads when it seems appropriate.
    • Posted

I guess that when I joined the forums, there had just been a similar period of quiet since one of the the first posts that I came across was yours asking how everyone was doing with their op. That seemed to breathe life into everyone for a while. Maybe we need a brief lull to gather ourselves because in the not too distant future I reckon that there will be many members getting their annual dxascan results. Well I'm hoping that I shall be but it may take a bit of persuasion or guile!

• Posted

Aristotle, you want an overactive forum?  You should join the PMR/GCA one!  It takes me hours to get through the notifications for that forum on an average day.  BTW a number of the members of that (like me) are also on this one as prednisone is a major risk factor for bone thinning.
    • Posted

Am having a scan in two weeks. Will be interesting as haven't had one for six years. Do you have gastric reflux? I have been on omeprazole for ten years and think I am now reacting to it as have loads of side effect symptoms (main one numbness/altered sensation in legs and face). What natural things do you take? Also is there a difference between men and women having OP?

• Posted

Have been told they are brilliant. You can buy them them for £10 or £100 but cheap ones just as good apparently. Just have to be fitted to correct height

• Posted

Had hysterectomy at 40, hrt for a month but didn't like it and drink well within limits. Had back ache and saw a chiropractor who diagnosed the OP. Was looked after by a world expert who does research into it but he never told me about magnesium or vit k2 which I am so disappointed about.

• Posted

I don't know. I use a walker but I have limits. Not sure what the main trouble is but the sacroiliac seems to be what influences my ability to sit on a hard chair or walk far. That may come off the two discs. The scoliosis is not bad enough to be the main problem. Osteoporosis is severe but it is there with everything else. Then there is the arthritis and if the back resembles my hands then it is impacting too. So, I am not sure about the Nordic walking.

• Posted

I know.  I did mean to emphasize that my acquaintance is obviously doing it in a very modified way.  It is known to help with increasing upper body strength and bone density.  We get free introductory clinics here, so if you can find somehting like that it would be a good way to try it out, with the guidance of the trained instructor.
    • Posted

Hello Faith,

Just got your bit about Omeprazole SE's of this drug are horrendous. My husband is/was on it to 'protect' his stomach against Naproxen given for a variety of aches and pains. He stopped and is now using that slimy Silicol gel, very expensive but no sidee effects. Take care

• Posted

Just an active one will do, I'm not sure that I could cope with an overactive forum, it could burst my brain or what's left of it!

• Posted

It is a med for IBS primarily but also for heartburn and reflux. He takes a capful before his meds and before a meal. So no more than 3 caps a day.
    • Posted

Thanks Anhaga. That would be the way to go for me that is under supervision. If the sacroiliac thingy is triggered I can fall so I am not very confident.
    • Posted

Slightly off course but do you know anything g about reacting to Omeprazole? Been on it for 10 years and now seem to have quite a few of its side effects. Have stopped it now but just wonder how long effects of it will last. Sorry but can't seem to find out too much about that side of things and you seem quite knowledgable. Thanks

• Posted

I expect the next link will be moderated, but hopefully approved.  

• Posted

Hello Faith,

My husband was on Omeprazole for a few years so called to protect his stomach against Naproxen. It killed his appetite, made him na7useous and generally not very well, his recovery was almost immediate in his case, he is eating well feeling well and has replaced the Omep with Silicol gel. Good luck

• Posted

It is shocking, isn't it?  One day people may look back on this period as a time when drug companies actually contributed to what amounted to malpractise.  Not that I blame the doctors.  They are victimes, too, of a system which puts money ahead of wellbeing.  I certainly hope that you continue to heal.??

• Posted

Thanks for that. Have heard about the gel, have been off it for a week now and don't feel any improvement really. Hate the numbness and insomnia. Some of the other symptoms have gone so will just have to be patient, although have heard it can take 3 months, do hope not!

• Posted

Am married to a doctor. Most drugs are safe to use and they have to use what they have.we all expect to be made better these days. My chiropractor told me doctors deal with illness and chiropractors deal with wellness. Definitely made me think but he is a fantastic chap! I will get there hopefully!!!!
    • Posted

My father was a doctor.  (So, incidently, was my mother, and my stepmother a nurse and speech therapist.)  So I have nothing against doctors. I will never go to a chiropractor because first my father had several patients who went to them and he had to treat them for the damage caused.  And second my uncle went to one and his neck was so badly damaged he had to take early retirement from his work as a dentist.  

But the business with a name I can't use (gets censored) but the first word is big and the second begins with a p.  That business is seriously out of control and doing us a lot of damage these days.  I'm not saying it's all bad.  But perhaps it would have been better if our elected governments had kept closer control over research and the results of that research, not allowed the private firms to take over.  They are one reason, not the only one, obviously, that public medicare is struggling.

• Posted

Hi Faith

Thanks for the compliment but unfortunately I don't have knowledge of omeprazole information at my fingertips. I suggest that you search for things like omeprazole reactions or omeprazole side effects. These both throw up lots of information some of which I shall read simply because I know nothing about the drug and more people seem to be involved with it nowadays. The links that Anhaga has posted will also prove useful as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.