Exercise induced arrythmia

Posted , 3 users are following.

My EP has told me that I am cleared to do any exercise, and has encouraged me to get outside and be active, so 2 weeks ago I started light jogging. I've been a walker for years and before being diagnosed with Flutter 2 years ago was quite active. I was looking forward to being more active again. I've had unsuccessful ablations and have tried many meds. The current regime keeps my heart pretty quiet and I've had no racing for 4 months, just PAC's.

Unfortunately, after the 3rd time out, my heart has now stared to go into an arrythmia within 20 minutes. I've tried going slower, alternating between walking and running, and trying flat surfaces as opposed to some hills. My heart has so far gone back into sinus rhythm within 30 minutes. But, I am not so sure that exercise is safe for me. I've read that exercise is encouraged for people with arrythmias and it's actually supposed to help.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does my heart need more time to adjust or maybe I'm just breaking through the meds and I need to adjust them? I'm not sure how much my heart can tolerate, and it really might be that being active is something I have to forget about.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Initially, getting my heart rate above 120 bpm would make it do some really weird things (lots of skipped beats etc.) but the last few months I seemed to have pushed through all that.

i now now try to keep my HR above 120 for the whole 45 minutes that I'm out jogging/walking and my heart rate  appears t be solid as a rock. I used a Fitbit and did things very gradually and didn't push it too hard. 

Have just had an ablation a few days ago, so am anticipating that I will have start from scratch with walking at first and then slowly build up the amount of jogging again. 

Hope this helps?

• Posted

Yes, it gives me hope. I do have a fit bit, but have not worn it in a while. It's a good idea and I will start to use it again. I really want to be active like I used to be, and maybe with some time and careful attention to my heart rate my arrythmia will allow it.

Thank you!

• Posted

Yes, CAREFUL ATTENTION  is the key. As well as using my Fitbit to keep an eye on my heart rate, I also have my own blood pressure device that has has the added bonus of an Afib alert function on it. When I use it, a little heart symbol flashes on the screen with every heartbeat, which is also helpful. The blood pressure machine is worth its weight in gold as far as I'm concerned, as it has detected Afib twice when I hadn't been able to, and I was subsequently cardioverted back into rhythm.

Using both these devices gave me the confidence to get active again.

I began with just walking this 4.5km course, then found myself doing short bursts of jogging to get my heart rate around 120ish. Prior to my ablation last week I was jogging about two thirds of the 4.5 km course.

I should also mention that I was on Sotolol, which kept my resting heart rate around 50 bpm. (Have been taken off this post ablation).

Soit'll be interesting to see how  go when I start getting active again (which will probably begin later this-just walking at this stage).

Will just have to feel my way and listen to my body.

P.S.have also had a 'loop recorder' device implanted in my chest as I have agreed to be part of an Afib study. It's a pretty cool device that works on 3G networks and transmits data to my electro physiologists computer at 1 am every morning, provided that I'm within 3m of the base station that sits under my bed.

so as you can see, I'm a bit of a 'data junkie' and like to know what's going on with me.

I like to operate on the premise that 'knowledge is power', rather than 'ignorance is bliss'

Good luck with it all (BTW I'm a 50 yo male living in South Australia)

• Posted

That loop recorder does sound cool! When I was first diagnosed I followed all my stats as closely as I could. Besides being somewhat afraid of the many episodes, I also found all the new information very interesting.

I have a blood pressure device as well, but I put it aside. I think I have been a little frustrated by my lack of progress, but also not fully understanding how I could use all the informational technology to my benefit. I just knew my numbers. Your ideas on this are helpful. You are right that knowledge is power.

Good luck with healing from your ablation. That procedure works for many people as a cure. I hope your recovery is fast and successful!

BTW, I'm also 50 yo female, living in the US.

• Posted

Hi Deanna, don't know if you've seen this clip about Afib. But I think it's well worth a look ( very informative )

if you google search ' Legacy PI Dr John M and Prash Sanders ' you should find an interesting and informative discussion about Afib.

Prash Sanders is my Electrophysiologist (feeling pretty lucky that I have him!)

I have severe sleep apnoea and was 35 pounds overweight (still have 15 pounds to go!) so yes, I'm part of this study that he's talking about 

• Posted

I found that my BP meds (Ramipril then Candesartan)  were causing my paf. I took these in the morning and when taking my morning walk the af would start. I then took my BP meds later in the day and found my morning walk unaffected. I have since given up Ramipril and Candesartan for Bisoprolol and don't have morning paf any more but do have occasional night time episodes.
    • Posted

I think moving your meds around was a good idea. Today I did put a call into my EP and talked to his assistant to see if there were any other medication options. My meds don't seem to be causing the arrhythmia, but I might be able to adjust one of them for better control. I'm hoping something works smile

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.