Exercise & knee pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys I decided to be as pro active as I can with my knee issues, I am trying to lose some weight to try and help the joint.The only thing I can do at the moment is walk, although it's quite limited. I bought a treadmill and have been trying to do 20 mins daily. My knee is very stiff and painful during the first 5/8 minutes in then eases a bit. I managed 3 days but since Thursday ive barely been mobile am so stiff can't hardly walk at all and can't weight bear at all. So fed up, try to help myself and end up going backwards.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Freestork, I was told to be careful with the treadmill because my physio said it tends to jerk the knee.  I DO use it but am limiting it to 4 or 5 days a week 7 minutes at a time and a slow walk.  The recumbent bike is the easiest thing on the knees and increases flexibiltiy.  I think you're overdoing the treadmill.  Losing weight will help, no doubt but do take care re the treadmill.  I only started using mine when I'd got a bend of 120 because I want to maintain the strength I had in both legs before I had the TKR so they're in good shape for the other knee to be done and it also helps keep a general fitness.  I know what it's like though - we feel such a responsibility to do the best we can for ourselves and we are to a great degree fumbling through!

• Posted

Thanks Chris appreciate your advice. Think I've not helped things much using the treadmill but hey ho as you say have to try and help things along x

• Posted

To be honest Freestork, I'm taking a couple of days off exercise because I've overdone it here!  I haven't really had real pain since the op but after doing the treadmill, pushing it a bit more for a couple of days, I've now got a slight pain in the knee when it's at some angles, so going to elevate and rest and have a couple of days off and go back then doing less and see how it builds up again.  But I'd determined to never do more than 10 minutes walking on it because jogging is one of the things you shouldn't do after TKR, so anything has got to be gentle and with cushioned sole shoes, as far as I'm concerned.  My physio mentioned the elliptical would be  good but the other knee is much too bad to try that but I'm hoping when that knee is done, I might be able to use it.  We got all this stuff several years back and my husband reversed his type two diabetes with it and I got much fitter, so it's a question of adapting to using what works now.  A lot of it is trial and error though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.