Exercise Question

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was finished with physical therapy at 5 weeks. I continue to exercise my knee using what I learned to modify my daily yoga practice. My preference is the stationary bike over the treadmill. My question is if I am already walking over 5,000 steps a day (and those steps are steady on the job walking) is that equivalent to the treadmill? Should I be walking on the treadmill daily anyway or is the bike just as good at strengthening my knee?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I still am having problems even with everything I do to strengthen my knee. Everything I do is designed to challenge me a little more every time I exercise, bike ride, or swim. Weights are part of P/T. The machines challenge me to increase my range of motion, stability, and confidence. Stretching is great and low impact. I think that I benefit more in doing than not. I try hard to maintain a good mental attitude over giving into doing nothing at all. It is what it is and requires thought, flexibility, and common sense. Yoga is a great way to limber up. I am sure you are working towards your goal in a way that makes sense to you. As you will see everyone does things differently. Living with a diseased limb is life long. You are Boston strong. Keep up the good work and remember that the people who still have one good leg to stand on will be there for you at the finish line.
  • Posted

My friend had his miniscus repaired. It took him a year to get his strength back.  He can now squat with no problem. A total knee replacement is far more severe of an operation. Strengthing exercise is done moderately and should be done to give you more confidence.  I find that I am not stronger only in more discomfort. So now I am trying light exercise, bike riding, and swimming. I do weight machines for legs and dead weight for upper body. Moderate weight and for no more than 1 hour. It helps your head more than anything. But I am now avoiding anything that causes me discomfort. 
    • Posted

Maybe some things in my new post, above, can help you.  Endurance before strength!!!  Lots of reps with no weight.  Then increase weight very gradually.  Swimming/therapy pool are GREAT!!!  I rehabbed a new hip in six weeks that way.  Wish I had a pool near me...  Check out the post.  You may find a tidbit that you can use.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.