exercises after microdisectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had microdisectomy (L5S1) 5 days ago and my doctor did not give me any exericeses to do. I found lots of exericeses for week 3 and up after surgery but nothing what to do in a week 1 or 2. Did your doctor told you to do any exericeses during that time? Thank You

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Don't do any excursions yet hon just walk as best you can and don't put any strain on back at all not even lifting the washing...I think that's were mine went wrong as no one gave me any so as I felt OK I carried on with normal activities....you really must be careful....
  • Posted

I second what has been said. Don't do too much, even if you feel you can. Get a back brace to help your recovery, don't lift, or bend much, try pulling in your belly ad much as you can through the day to strengthen you core. The first 3 months the will be an important part of your recovery so be careful. It can take up to 2 years for your disc to fully heal.
    • Posted

You mentioned about back brace did u use it was it helpful? My doctor did not tell me about brace and I will see him in 5 weeks but I feel it might be helpfull. There are different types custom made or the one that fit all. Anything you can recomend?
  • Posted

I totally agree...pull belly in...do breathing...back brace wld be good...I had one made but I didn't get it for 3 months which was ridiculous ...then the doc said I had to wean myself off it gradually which I did but I felt weak without it...I have not been able to walk unaided since my op 2 yrs ago...still not decided on full rod fusion...trying to find evidence of it being a success to no avail...I am in constant pain...my right hip is very painful now and my right groin...so obviously the strain of me still being lopsided is having a knock on affect...
    • Posted

2 years after op and still in pain I am so sorry. Another surgery is definetelly not good but what other options are there...I feel that those problems do not heal on its own for long time. My disc slipped in 2014 was pinching on the nerve but I was able to walk I did tons of physio osteopathy etc and after 3 months I was pain free than in 2015 it gradully start coming back than in 2016 March it went so bad I was unable to walk at all nothing helped and I did all the same things as first time. I was lying down for 3 months and surgery was my only option.
    • Posted

I think it is my only option as well Monica...not looking forward to it...another year of recovery...will it work....so worried...I do hope your feeling better and are mobile again...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.