Exercises to get foot to lay flat

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all! I am a newbie here. I broke my Fibula and Tibia on the 4th of July. Surgery left me with 2 metal plates and 12 screws. I finally got the okay from my doctor to start with partial weight bearing. The issue I have is that I still am unable to flatten my foot in my boot. My heel still is elevated off the ground even after 4 weeks in a air cast.  I try to push it a little and it is stiff as can be. It's hard to imagine putting weight on a foot that is not flat. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to get it more mobile? Am I just being impatient and this is totally normal?

Thanks so much!!!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey Spambs!

I just started here yesterday and everyone has been super helpful so far, I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Just from my own experience it sounds like your achilles is super tight right now. 😕 Are you able to do any flexion exercises? Like trying to point toes forward... It's all a work in progress unfortunately. I also have a plate and screws and I'm 6 weeks in. Try to find patience and accept that this process is going to take awhile. I wish you well!

• Posted

Hi, welcome to the club. This is normal and with a bit of physio to help stretch the heel muscle back to normal. It's like learning to walk again. I'm 18 weeks dwn the line and now doing some walking without aids at home. But still very painful and also have to think to put heel down first. Heel ball of foot toes, just didn't come naturally... Odd really. I also do foot soak in Epson salts which helps loosen everything up for a while. Keep wiggling the toes and give yr foot a nice massage. Hope this helps. Sx

• Posted

It takes some time for your muscles to get moving again they have been in the same position for so long. They will and do loosen up. Fifteen weeks on the latest surgery of number five. Walking around the house without aids then outside with crutches and a knee scooter around the stores and mall. Two years at this trust me it will get better. First had screws and plates now on second fusion first one a screw busted and ankle was at a bad angle did not heal. I think that he got it this time. It is getting a little better daily hard at times to tell but I feel a little stronger on the compound fractured ankle. This is a great forum to learn from and also know that other's are having the same issues.

• Posted

Had surgery on 7-27-17 . I went for follow up 8-7-17 staples out and was put in a cast . The casting person put my foot at a 90 degree angle while putting the cast on it was a little painful, she said my foot has to be at a 90 degree angle so I can walk right when the cast comes off. The Doctor said if all looks good on 9-1-17 I can go into boot and start FWB. I would call the Doctor and tell them the problem you are having. You might need Physical therapy to help your foot get at the correct angle
  • Posted

I want to advise you to keep your  quadricep active, do leg raises on the edge of your bed with a towel rolled up and place it under your knee, my reason for saying this  is because due to my injury to my ankle after 6 months of rest and healing and Physio  I lost lots of muscle to my thigh, so when I began to putting increased weight on my recovering ankle which was shattered in Feb I'd lost that much muscle my knee gives my  severe pain which hinders me greatly in weightbaring, if I knew then what I know now I would of started it months ago. At present I'm on and off on 2 sometimes 1 crutch depending on my knee, keep your thigh muscle working when ever you can, better still, ask your dc and Physio for advise. 

• Posted

I'm more than 20 wks and I could walk unaided at home but slow.  My problem is the sides of my ankle swell after walking and exercise. I can't walk right away after getting up. I have to stretch my leg then start walking. Do you have that problem?  I was gonna rest for awhile not doing my exercise but my leg might get stiff again. What is your advice everyone? Also I live by the beach . Can I soak my feet at the beach instead of epsom salt? 

• Posted

Ong how lucky are you to live near the sea. This accident has stopped me from doing my favorite thing of all, that's going to my favourite little cove with my son and just sitting on the rocks and taking it all in. But the way I am I wouldn't be able to get there as my ankle isn't strong enough to walk over rocks plus the steep slope dwn and back again. 😢 😢. Lucky you. Sx

• Posted

Hi,

I'm in my 13th week and yes at the stage where you are I had the same problem. I had 2 plates and 9 screws put in for my bones. My physio told me that I had damaged my ligament as well which the doctors did not say anything to me at my appointments. I was given a go to put weight on my foot as long as I can tolerate at my 6 weeks checkup. I couldn't do that immediately and took me atleast a week to put my feet completely on the door. The area on top of the heel and below the calf still hurts but getting better with physio.

It's normal for you to have the pain. You will be able to put your foot flat on the floor but it will take time. Take your time and take it slow and easy. Once you start your physio you will see the changes. I can now walk unaided in normal trainers ( borrowed my husbands as mine don't fit anymore with the swelling ) and can put as much weight on my leg but still there is much movement in ankle to come back and the stiffness as well.

Hot baths or soaks will loosen the muscles and your physiotherapist can show you the massages to do. 

Good luck and hope you have a full recovery. ??

• Posted

Thank you so much you guys! You have me some great tips. My doctors version of PT is a little handout of exercises to do. I never felt comfortable with that method so I'm going to be finding someone to help me move it along quicker. I'm grateful you all took the time to help me feel a little better about the situation. Thanks again!!! 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.