Exercising i.e. Pulley during 2nd stage (Frozen)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Currently in the "frozen" stage. Sleeping has improved, and chronic pain during the day is better as well. Still can't reach behind my back, or arms out to side.

I thought I'd try and do some very low weight upper body work i.e. Rows at the gym... shoulder wasn't thrilled with that. So now I'm thinking about using pulleys.

Did any of you do any exercises during the "frozen" stage? Have you used pulleys?

I'm also open the ol': "Just leave it alone, and in time you'll be in the "thawing" stage soon enough.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Isadore,

My understanding was that it needs you to do the rehab work. Can you see a pt?

Christine

• Posted

i am in the thawed stage. The pain I had for a year was unbearable! Sleep was impossible! Whatever i read about surgery, which my doctor recommended highly, helped nobody nor did MUA! It has been a year and a half since this hit and no i still don't have full movement but I am pretty pain free and am glad didn't do surgery or MUA!!'I still know i have a bit of a problem because of twinges and a few aches but compared to life before I am golden!

• Posted

It has been 20 months since the hell of a frozen shoulder started and beleive me I tried EVERYTHING (you can look at my other posts but I did everything but surgery). Looking back, I regret it and honestly think all of it did more harm than good. Once I started leacing it along, I started to heal. Those pulley exercises were TORTURE for me. Within two months of leaving it alone (after 4 months of treatment) pain was gone and I could sleep at nigh t.A year later, no pain except for the occasional pain of overuse...rom is back maybe 75 %...arms out to side and over head but still cannot hook my bra. Good luck! I would not wish FS on anyone!

• Posted

I wish I had left my frozen shoulder alone-

The most painful year of my life. I literally lost my mind from pain, lack of sleep and listening and reading everything to do with fs.

I was in so much pain I quit my job. Did 6 wks pt- The pt person pulled my scapula out of place and it's never been the same. I did about 30 treatments of acupuncture in which the acupunturist kept trying to force my arm up after each session. I would leave in tears,

I went 2 chiropractores The 2nd one karate chopped my shoulder trying to unfreeze it and I left in pain and my shoulder felt and looked crooked.

Through massage therapy, cupping and electric acupuncture by an experienced sports theraputic masseuse I've managed to undo some of the harm.

My shoulder and scapula is still out of place and a new primary I just went to checked out my arm and said I need surgery.

I really think if I had done nothing and left it alone I would be healed and almost back to normal. I was out of my mind trying everything I could except surgery to try and heal from this crazy situation that changed and challenged my life. I'm basically still trying to process everything that has happened in the last 15 months and going to therapy trying to heal and put all this behind me.

I know it is still out of place from the trauma of everything I tried to get better. I'm not in pain anymore and for that I'm beyond grateful.

• Posted

I had surgery in Jan. and have been using the pulley since. I still can't lift my arm up up the whole way , i am currently at 100 deg.

My physio tells me that the first movement to improve is upward, then out to the side and behind the back will be last. I have also been told by my surgeon and physio that i may never regain my full movement.

Everyone is different.

Take it easy at first with the pulley 15 x 3 three times daily. I am now up to 500 a day. Listen to your body.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi, Isadore,

So glad you are better. I have a question...how do you know when you are in the frozen stage? I have had this going on about 6 months now with constant pain and inability to sleep well. I had started going to PT but then stopped and instead did some exercises on my own. The last 2 weeks I even backed off a bit as I felt that I was doing more harm than good and now just doing more gentle range of movement exercises. I just wondered how you know when you do get to the next stage. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

• Posted

Mostly due to a reduction in pain - at night and during the day. I also have more ROM as well.

My wife's a physicians and suggests the stages are more metaphor than medical fact. It's a process that needs to run its course.

• Posted

The pain which was so incredibly awful for so many months just started easing up. All of a sudden I was able to sleep and turn on the side of the bad shoulder. I haven't gone back to ortho doc though I still have nuisance pain but compared to what life was like before, I am able to live with this very easily.

• Posted

I am really looking forward to that day!! Thanks so much for the reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.