Exhausted much of the time

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with AF in February this year.   I saw the Cardiologist in June and he said I have persistent AF and they will do a cardioversion if I am suitable for this.   I have an appointment in a couple of weeks for a scan to see if the valves are all right and let me know if I can have this treatment or not.   When first diagnosed it wasn`t so bad but these last few weeks I am just so exhausted.    If I have to go upstairs more than two or three times in a day I find it really difficult and I am very slow.     It`s difficult to stay up longer in the evening than 9.30 pm at the latest and I still don`t want to get up in the morning.   I was never like this before.   Is the heat?   We are having a beautiful hot summer.   Is everyone like this?   

Kind regards,

Kathleen

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Kathleen, sorry to hear of your situation.  It's not always like that, and I suppose half the reason they put it off for a couple of weeks is to give it a chance to go away on its own, which does happen.

But as long as you're "waiting" anyway, how's your nutrition?  Things that might help include fish oil, coq10, taurine, and magnesium.

Are you on any other drugs, for blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid?  Sometimes those can figure in, too.  Sometimes a little beta blocker is worth a try.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to answer my post.       I will certainly find out about taurine and magnesium

Kind regards,

Kathleen

• Posted

Are you on any medications ? Usually they will not do a cardioversion (in the UK) unless you have been on a dreadful  drug called Amiodarone or at least Bisoprolol for two months. Bisoprolol can cause the type of symptoms that you are experiencing.
    • Posted

Hello Derek,

Thank you for replying to my post.   Yes I forgot to mention I am taking Apixaban and Bisopropolol and I have benn wondering if this Bisopropolol could be the cause.   .

Kind regards 

Kathleen

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

I feel for you. That was me before I went on my AF Meds, Crashing out on the Sofa by 8pm, most of the weekends were spent asleep and I was breathless going up stairs. You have my sympathy. I've been on the Meds now since January and feel a lot better but do find the heat debilitating, I get the occasional moment of breathlessness and can't do a huge amount of physical work. I can cut the Lawn but wielding a shovel or fork in the Veg Patch gets very tiring very quickly. Conveniently so according to Mrs 1098. 

I suppose I'm trying to say I have something similar and am finding the heat doesn't help, and I'm not a very keen gardner. I have a Cardiologist's appointment on Wednesday, I will ask about the heat and whether it is psychological or actually having an effect, watch this space for an update.

Best of luck.

Jason

• Posted

Hello Jason,

This is really interesting,   what medication do you take?   You say you feel much better now but you still seem to feel very tired.    I take Apixaban and Bisopropolol.    Will you be having a cardio Version?    I hear there is no risk and it can make the heart start working normally again.   Please let us know how your appointment goes on Wednesday.

Kind regards,

Kathleen

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

I take Bisoprolol and Dabigatran, I was moved off Apixaban as Dabigatran has a reversal agent (amongst other reasons). I'm also on Amlodipine and Ramipril for my Hypertension and Atorvastatin just for good measure. 

I am not suitable for a Cardioversion, my AF is caused by damage to my heart, which is a shame because as I used to work in IT support I'm familiar with the "turning it off and back on again" concept of fixing things.

For what it's worth my Father had a number of Cardioversions starting 40 something years ago and they seemed to fix things for around 10 + years each time so if you're suitable go for it, I'd be there like a shot if I could.

• Posted

Well, that wasn't what I expected....and in a good way.

Turns out the medication seems to be doing it's job and my heart has recovered to a point where a Cardioversion is worth a try. So some time in September yet to be confirmed in I go.

I asked about the heat and breathlessness and it's probable that the weather has a bearing on how I feel.

Next question for the Cardiologist will be: If the Cardioversion is successful can I target the London Marathon next year?

• Posted

Hello Jason,

I was wondering how you had got on today.   That`s great news.   Others have said how it has worked for them so it is worth a try.    Good to hear about the weather too,  it`s gone cooler and I feel a bit better this last couple of days so that may be the reason.    I go for my echogram next Tuesday and I am hoping this will be okay and show I can have the cardioversion.    So pleased for you Jason.   

Kind regards,

Kathleen

• Posted

Hello Jason,

I had my echocardiogram today and it went well.   My heart is a little enlarged but it seems that is normal when you have AF.    I have to wait now to hear from the cardiologist but the nurse said she would expect that I can have this treatment.

Kind regards,

Kathleen

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

That's really great to hear. I have scheduled my Cardioversion for 17th August so not too long to wait. Hope you get a similar response.

All the best

• Posted

Hello Jason,

I received a letter yesterday,   so quck!   I am given a date for my Cardioversion for Thursday 16th August so the day before you.    The letter says I must go on the Wednesday to to have some final checks,   I assume you must be doing this too.    So pleased about it,   just hoping.........I will post in the evening of the 16th so I can tell you what it was like.

Kind regards,

Kathleen

• Posted

Hi Kathleen 

I just spotted your last message, that’s great news. 

Yes, much like your schedule I’m in for checks on Wednesday then back to be zapped on Friday. I’ve also got a cardiac MRI scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, definitely getting my money’s worth out of the NHS.

I will look out for your update on Thursday next.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen - I was diagnosed with persistent AF in Jan this year and instantly put onto Digoxin (rate control not rhythm control) and I was already on Warfarin for other clot reasons to do with Protein C deficiency. Because I was already on warfarin they decided to do a cardio version straight off without being on any other meds first.

I had the symptoms you describe everyday but as soon as I came around from the cardio version I felt instantly amazing and "refreshed".  I rested for a couple of days and then got back to work.  I tried to do less lifting and carrying as normal however I think the big problem was that I was working in a hot environment and I did not drink enough fluid.  Four days later I tipped back into Afib and stayed there.  The big lesson here is the heat and dehydration.  It is not the "heat" but what the heat does to your system if you don't deal with it accordingly.  Fluid is essential and even more so when it is warm.

After the first cardio version failed, my cardio chap put me onto Sotalol and then a month later I had my second cardio version.  Touch wood, to date, this has been a success (other than a slight blip in early June) and generally I feel as good as the moment I woke up after the "jump start" - I was even up the mountain skiing yesterday and then only thing that is suffering is my knees today!

• Posted

Hello Yorkshirekiwi,

I am pleased to hear your second cario version is working and you are feeling so well.    It`s good to hear these experiences.    I can relate to drinking enough as I have known for a long time that I don`t drink enough.   I am rarely thirsty and find it difficult to drink.   I am making a big effort to drink more now.   A litre of water tomorrow for me and other drinks besides.    Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Kind regards,

Kathleen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.