Exhausted post shingles

Posted , 107 users are following.

I was diagnosed with shingles 2 weeks ago. Compared to some, it was a mild case with just a small rash on my back. I caught it early and was given antibiotics which I finished last week. The rash has pretty much cleared but now I have overwhelming bouts of fatigue. Yesterday I literally couldn't move. Is this to do with the shingles and if so, how long does it take to be 100% better?

13 likes, 453 replies

453 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Dear Kate;

I don't know if you have seen any of my other replies on this site; but, I have had reoccurring Shingles for 35 years. Yes, fatigue is totally normal. Every bout is somewhat different, and each person's symptoms are somewhat different. It can take up to 4 to 8 weeks for the main symptoms to dwindle.From exhaustion, mouth sores, cold or flu-like symptoms, upper respiratory symptom, soreness, pain, stomach discomfort, itching, etc... are some of the many symptoms people can have. Fatigue, definitely one; but, if something else comes up that you question, call and ask the nurse at your doctor's office. Did you know though, some doctors still are not informed enough to know people can get reoccurring Shingles?!!

• Posted

Dear Roswell,

I do feel for you as you have had recurrences far longer than I have had. I have Ramsay Hunt Syndrome-Herpes Zoster Oticus Right Ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years every three to five weeks.

You are so correct that many physicians are ignorant about Herpes Zoster, recurrences, treatments, analgesics, etc. May I ask what dermatome is affected and do you have post herpetic neuropathy?

Merry

• Posted

Hi Just read your post about reoccurring shingles.am 54yrs old and i get shingles 3-4 times ayear.....when i tell people about this they always say you can only get shingles once in your life......i wish this was true.....about 3yrs ago i was admitted to hospital and i was giving a drip of antibiotic.......now i know how you feel fatigue before and after can last a long/short time.....everyone is different and can have more or less symtoms 
    • Posted

hi myra i know this is a old post , why is antbiotics given for shingles, i thought it was anitivral drugs > x
    • Posted

Hi Jazzyanne,

Antibiotics is a term that that defines a drug that fights all germs, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

Antibacterials fight bacteria,

Antifungals fight fungi. Antivirals fight viruses. I hope this helps.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Dear Merry,

I just read your message to Roswell and realized for the first time (thanks to your message to me today) that the shingles you have had for years, every 3 to 5 weeks, is that awful pain in the ear that I suffered the first time. It is hard to imagine how terrible it must be to endure that over and over again so frequently. I hope something will happen to relieve you of it someday.

With wholehearted sympathy, dear Merry...

Janbi

• Posted

Janbi,

As I start on the antivirals immediately at the first inkling of the Herpes Zoster-Shingles, and am on Topamax, an anticonvulsant similar to neurontin or Lyrica, which attenuates the neuropathic pain, the pain is less severe. I also take oxycodone for the first three days and use Auralgon ear drops which has Benzocaine, a numbing medication, on the ear drum. I don't suffer nearly as much as the first episode. GlaxoSmithKline is filing for approval with the FDA for Shingrix, a new vaccine for Shingles in 2016. If it is approved, it should be available by 2017. It is 97% efficacious compared to Zostavax, which is 51% efficacious. Hopefully, it can help people who already have recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

• Posted

Merry,

Nice name for the new vaccine. I will remember it and if my reoccurances escalate in intensity, perhaps my doctor will agree to let me try it.

• Posted

Janbi,

It would be worth the jab.

Wait a few months, though.. let others be the guinea pigs!

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry,

I'm glad we have you on here to give advice, my dr didn't think my shingles would return either, It is 3 months since I was diagnosed and it hasn't retturned but I'm  surprised that there seems to me nothing to stop the awful itching, mine is mostly on my eyelid and drives me crazy as I try not to scratch it but it is so hard not to, I use Lanacane on my forehead and that seems to help but most creams cannot be used on the eyes, I was hoping that the many drops I use for my pink dry eye would help but they don't! Next week I will be seeing an orthoptic Dr because of the double vision I get every morning after waking (does anyone else get this?!) I feel so sorry for people who have after effects for months and years, ans can see why people say shinlges changes one's life!! Luckily I didn't lose my vision, that is the thing I was so worried about, Good luck to everyone on here and I hope you all feel better soon!

• Posted

PS, i have tried antihistamine which haven't helped, or do they take ages to kick in?!

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I agree, Merry is truly a blessing to all on here.

About the itching in your eyes; I am almost 5 months from diagnosis and fortunately free of pain, finally! However, for about 6 wks several times throughout the day I have intense itching in my eyes. I put cool cloths over my eyes and use antihistamine eye drops that gives temporary relief. Upon awakening in the mornings I, too, have sort of double vision, it does clear up within a short time.

I have year-round environmental allergies, but never had this eye itch before shingles, and the strange part is that my shingles rash was not near my eyes, but on my chest, arm, shoulder and back.

Hope you are feeling much better and that you get relief from your eye itch and double vision.

Peace & Blessings,

Joyce

• Posted

Thank you Joyce, I found your reply so reasuring, good to know I am not alone with the eye problems, I did have it mildly around my eye, and the rest was my forehead and head, I am just carrying on with the eye drops that I was given this week from the eye dr, and I have to go back in 3 weeks, but on Monday I see the orthoptist re my double vision. I hope too that you are feeling better,

Best Wishes

Jane

• Posted

My dear Jane,

I'm sorry the oral antihistamine did not work, and if it didn't work immediately, it isn't going to help. I am wondering if Neurontin or Lyrica might help you as the nerve endings are over stimulated. Forgive me if we discussed this suggestion before, but I never seem to find the same thread for one person. Thank you so much for your praise. I know that others are extremely supportive and give invaluable suggestions, as well. There are antihistamine eye drops eg Patanol, in the States, along with a cool cloth, that might help, per Joyce. Otherwise, I am out of ideas.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry,

I was on Pregabalyn but I stopped them as no longer had pain, and I thought that maybe they were causing my double vision ( they weren't the cause) So many people seem to have the itching problem, maybe we have to give it more time, hopefully it will go eventually!

• Posted

Hi Merry,

My pain is gone but I have been bedridden with exhaustion for week. I wanted to share a word of caution about Topomax. my daughter took it for migraines and had horrible psychological side effects. Topomax can cause disturbed thinking and hallucinations. Be cautious and sank your loved ones too let you know if they see changes in your personality. When my daughter stopped topomax 3 years ago she returned to normal.

• Posted

Mandy,

I certainly agree with you that Topamax and ALL medications OTC and prescription medications can cause serious and lifethreatening adverse reactions. Topamax is a prescription medication, and the individual would be followed by a clinician. Topamax, along with all anticonvulsants, and Lyrica can cause personality changes, suicidal ideation, sedation, plus adverse effects on internal organs to be monitored by a clinician.

However, for certain people, including me, it relieved me of intractable migraines. No medication is correct for everyone. My identical twin was unable to tolerate Topamax. I cannot use the Sumatriptans, for migraines, as they are contraindicated due to cardiac issues. Everyone has to find what works best for her/hisself. I hope your daughter has found excellent relief for her migraines.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Joyce,

First of all, what a wonderful site!!! You've just answered a question I've had about itchy eyes. My symptoms started as intermittent shoulder pain, the rotator cuff was definitely involved. I had an MRI which confirmed supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendonosis. I was hurting terribly and couldn't understand because the pain was so terrible. I felt like I was having a heart attack, though I don't have cardiac issues. I did confirm this by an echocardiogram stress test. After 2-3 weeks, I had a small rash, thought it was from insect bite. I couldn't see it, though saw pics. Saw a chiropractor, having had removed my bra, confirmed that it was shingles. My eyes itched like crazy. They still occasionally bother me. I still have red spots on my left mid back area. Today I feel exhausted. I have limited range of motion with my left arm because my Lattisimus Dorsi muscle doesn't want to let go. I am 53, never received antiviral medicines. I hope to see my Preventive Med Doc next week. Do you all think I should consider meds?

• Posted

Hi Merry how can i  contact a person I,ve found on here  without going public with messages 
    • Posted

I'm not Merry, but this is what you do. First make sure you're signed in (sometimes you have to sign in again, even if you're viewing replies). Then look to the left, under the avatar, you'll see an envelope. Click on that to send a Private Message. You will then be able to write back and forth in via your account, which shoes up on the upper right.

• Posted

Hi Jane

I as reading about your itching eyes.  I have the shingles on the same places as you.  At the moment I have finished the anitviral drug today so I am waiting for the itch around my eyes and the scaps to stop.  Today for the first time both my eyes are hurting which could be the light.  However although the itch is not bad, it is worse than the pain as pain you can block itch you can't ignore :-)  Has your itching and symptoms stopped by now?

Thanks

Marjo

• Posted

Oh thank you and I went to a holistic Doctor and she put me on some homeopathic stuff to build my immune system and iodine because she thinks my thyroid is out of wack. It has been a week and I am sleeping better but still not over the fatigue. I know it will take awhile. Thank you again!
    • Posted

Hi Sissy

Good on you for going to see a holistic doctor.  I regret going to see a doctor and getting antiviral drugs, as they have done more damage than good. I was walking 2km while I was already sick.  My GP had misdiagnosed as migraine. :-(  When I went to work on the 1st of Jan.  was exhausted when I got home and could not go to work the next day, so went to see a locum.  He put me on those pills and it got so much worse then.  Now 1 month later everything is gone.  Had some acupunture for the nerve pain and that is all gone now.  Next week I will be going back to work again. Building up my immunity with natural products and staying of sugar... :-)

Marjo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.