Exhaustion and muscle pain on Mirtazapine

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi, I've already posted about how I'm struggling to sleep on 30mg Mirtazapine but now I've started with extreme muscle pain!!! I ache from head to toe and am totally exhausted, this is my worst nightmare as I have an extremely busy job,I'm so tired I'm crawling into bed by 7pm at night just so I can rest,I have read up on the side effects of this drug and muscle and join pain is quite common but I'm wondering if it's going to pass or not,I've only been taking them for 2 weeks.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi Catherine, I guess it has been at least 7 years now, and you either went off Mirtazapine or persevered. I went on it in 2013 after the previous drug stopped working after 12 months. Although tapered off for three weeks I went into the throws of a decent bout of discontinuation syndrome that affected my balance, muscle strength, spacial awareness and sleep. When it felt like I was starting to level out of it after 5 weeks, I had 2 falls, the 2nd plunged me into a world of pain and 15 second torso spasms that lasted 2 years, and I had hypnopompic hallucinations on waking at least 3 times in the first year, plus every night from the day I took the Mirtazapine I got and still get a waking at night and the sensation of the ceiling being full of cobwebs with a pixelated spider moving around. (a kind of night terror). Along with that I experienced restless leg syndrome for 2 years as well. I was size 16 on the first drug and since 2011 my weight has ballooned to a size 28. I'm always hungry. I always have areas on every limb and part of my body that are painful, I regularly get really stiff and have muscle soreness. On the flip side, I don't cry much at all, compared to crying on the way to work, at work and on the way home before that. My mother died, and then my father, and I feel the medication really helped with those big things as well. I know when I am really upset because I get breakthrough crying. I find it hard to cope with hot weather since I've been on Mirtazapine. Yes, I had fogged brain big time before I went on it, which did improve a bit, but that is balanced out by extreme bouts of inability to fall asleep which regularly has me sleeping during the day. In general when I think I am awake, I wait another 2 hours before I go out or drive. I've given up trying to work and am hoping to get on the Disability Pension, so that the awful pressure of them expecting me to do normal things like regular normal people will be reduced. With the reduced capacity I feel very vulnerable in public so I hardly go out at all. At least 70% of these symptoms were due to Mirtazapine use.

• Posted

Hi the lower the dose the better you will sleep 15 is better for sleep then cut down again. I have insomnia lower dose works better I'm taking myself off of these tablets now so going thru withdrawal. The fatigue will be better on lower doses . Exercise is key hard when fatigued but will get the toxins out and you will feel better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.