Exhaustion prior to next B12 injection

Posted , 16 users are following.

I've been on Cytamen (four weekly) B12 injections for 38 years due to PA following partial gastrectomy in 1959.

In the days running up to my next injection I sometimes feel quite exhausted and to combat this scheduled a few 3 week injections - perhaps twice/three times a year.

However my nurse is now refusing to allow me to do this. Am I the only person to experience this feeling of exhaustion prior to an injection?? sad

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been having b12 injections ever 12 weeks for about 15 years I am sithing here now feeling so unwell exhausted sick fly like symptoms all because I have to wait another three weeks for my injection and I don't understand why I have to suffer this wait every time my injection is due I have begged my doctor for earlier injections but he insists I only need it every 12 weeks why I know my body is knowell I will feel ok once I have my injection

• Posted

Sadly you are not alone Teresa and I know of several people who self inject between their scheduled ones. I had the same problem six or seven years ago (I am the original "Guest" at the start of this post) and after a struggle managed to persuade my doctor to increase my frequency.

If you don't fancy self injecting you could try the B12 sprays and tablets.  Fortunately you cannot overdose on B12 as any excess is excreted via your urine.

If you have a diagnosis of P.A. and are having neurological symptoms the N.I.C.E Guidelines say injections should be every eight weeks - not twelve.

The Pernicious Anaemia Society is fighting to get the medical profession to "bend" with their treatment of B12 Deficient and P.A. Patients. You can join at a cost of £20 for a year's membership and they may intervene on your behalf.

I am not medically trained but have had P.A. for 46 years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.