Existing mole recently changed colour

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Quick question....I’ve had a mole/beauty spot on my chest for as long as I can remember (just over 6mm in diameter), but recently realised that it had changed in colour from brown to pink. I also think it may have slightly changed shape (although I may just be thinking that because I’m extremely worried and suffer from anxiety).

I saw my gp this morning who didn’t think it was anything really to worry about, but told me to keep an eye on it. I’ve also privately booked to see a dermatologist, but that isn’t for two week.

I’m really worried that it may be the start of a melanoma. Has anyone else had this? Does it always mean it’s a skin cancer when a mole changes colour/shape?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Don’t worry I have had lots of of moles like that. Not cancer. Recently had a Basel cell carcinoma removed. 

You must keep getting checked especially if it changes in any way.

• Posted

Hi Dean, 

You have done the right thing getting an appointment with  dermatology clinic.

They will check you over and if there is any concern then they will do a skin biopsy. It's possible it will be done there and then. Once they have the results you will be informed as to next step.

I went in for a mole on my arm, which was removed along with two others, one on my leg and one on my back, all done under local anaesthetic, no pain whatever.  Went back two weeks later to have stitches taken out of my arm only to be told that I had a malignant melanoma in my arm and more needed to be removed. That was two years ago and last week I was signed off ,all now okay.

Best of luck,

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.