existing with anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello everyone.

This might be a bit long but I feel I need to talk to anyone who understands me. Ive tried everything else. My family and friends are lovely but they just dont get it.

Ive suffered with anxiety for a couple of years however this past couple of months havvsve been horrific. Ive got to a point where I can barely function anymore and everyday is a constant battle with My own head. theres always something that just doesnt feel right and I focus on it till im convinced im about to die. I get palpitations, feel sick, feel like i cant breathe, have a lump feeling in my throat, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth, dizzyness, fatigue...and barely sleep. I have a bunch of other symptoms too but those are the main ones. For the past week ive had the throat lump with difficultly swallowing and struggling to breathe...all I can do is think about it. Im.convinced that I have no future and that I'll just suddenly die and noone will be able to help me. I feel alone and I look at other people and want to be like them. Be able to go out with friends and laugh and do normal things. I just dont see a way of getting there.

Im on 50mg of setraline and proprananol and on a waiting list for counselling which is about 7 weeks away now.

I think a part of my head is convinced its kot anxietty and that something is actually wrong. Somedays I fight it...as hard as it is...Somedays im ok and can actually function and enjoy myself....bbut most days I struggle just to get out of bed.

I just dont know what to do anymore. Thought talking to people might help me. Sorry for the long post....h

had a lot I wanted to get out.

Anyway.

Regards

nat

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it's nice to see it's not just me that's going out my mind with all of this, mine started only 2 month ago & it has got me really down, I could just get through my day to day life it's been so hard, I get the lump like feeling in my throat dizziness, breathlessness & I also think I can't breathe wen I actually can, I get chest pains esp when I'm nervous or stressed, now all I think about is pain & that I'm about to die x
    • Posted

Hello leonie,

Im.sorry you are suffering too but im happy to have someone who understands. are you on meds or seeing a counsellor?

Its such a horrible existance. This isnt living at all. I cant get death ofd my mind. Convinced im going to have a heart attack or suddenly stop breathing. I keep googling things which makes it worse but I cant seem to stop myself. I just dont see an end to this at all.

Nat

• Posted

Hello,

Yeah I'm on propranolol I have panic attacks too!! I'm on waiting list for a counsellor too, I have 3 little ones to look after Aswel as dealing with all this, but it helps as I know I have something nice to get out if bed to every morning, but I feel scared to be left alone as I'm worried something is going to happen to me and there's no one to help me, hope you see a light at the en of the tunnel as I've been a bit better over the last few weeks xx

• Posted

I feel your pain. I too feel the same and I have a 8 5 and 12week old. How long u been on sert? Xx
  • Posted

hi, im sorry your not well. how do you find the sertraline? have you tried any other medications? maybe its worse at holiday time too. its a very troubling thing, ive had it for years.
  • Posted

Hey I've had it about ten years and mine started with the feeling sick and throat lump also bad chest pains which I still get but I only feel sick now in certain situations eg. If im on a train I know if I start to feel bad I have no escape which in turn makes me feel ill but if I know I have an escape I'm fine it took 3yrs just to diagnose mine I had ct scans xrays you name a test I had it even had them taking tissue samples from my stomach also I've had alot of meds over the years non of which worked neither did the psychologist they basically told me what I already knew so I stopped the meds and the psychologists and found distractions work for me anything that stops you thinking about it my music is the main one I don't go anywhere without my headphones anymore also do you know what sets it off? What I'd suggest is when you start to feel bad memorise it or write down what you're doing and what situation you are in and that may give you an idea of what your trigger is and maybe then you can start to find a way to tackle it
  • Posted

the propranalol should be helping you with the palpitations and breathing so you may be on too low a dose. Go back to your doctor, tell him your meds arent working and get something different or stronger. 

go on the NHS Tyne and Wear website and look at their leaflet on anxiety. It is very good and covers everything.

Dont google symptoms, ever.

Exercise is the best remedy for anxiety, Do more, keep active.

Remember, and say it to yourself a thousand times until it is embedded in your head, 'The symptoms of anxiety, though uncomfortable, can do you no harm whatsoever.' All of these symptoms are safe to have. They are your own defense system so it makes sense that they are not harmful to you. Nothing bad will ever happen to you from anxiety. You will definately not die. You will definately not go mad. It feels horrible, I know, but it is totally harmless, despite what that little anxious voice tells you. It lies! It is the voice of anxiety looking for something to be wrong and there isnt anything wrong so it keeps on looking because that is its job, to protect you. There is actually nothing wrong with you at all. Try and get it into your head. You are OK and will be OK. Nothing bad can happen to you. It is only anxiet,y despite what it tries to tell you. With love and from experience xx

• Posted

One of the best replies I've ever read.it doesn't kill you but it does make you feel like you're going mad. I can't eat sleep concentrate. I tell myself it's all rubbish but that little voice doesn't shut up. Only been on sert for a few days after trying mirtazapine which had a big weight gain effect on me tho it helped with sleep. Atm I can't stand the sight of my newly married husband and tho I know I love him dearly my inner voice is telling me it was a mistake. Grrr very frustrating!!! Your words of wisdom are a comfort thank you x
  • Posted

Google is anxiety's best friend. You'll never be free from it unless you stop searching your symptoms. Do you ever feel better once you've googled? Whenever I googled my symptoms, 9 times out of 10 it was bad news,and when it was good news I'd continue to search until eventually it turned bad. People with anxiety are doom mechants,we only ever seem to be interested in the negative aspects of life. Every test I did came back negative,every single doctor told me I was just anxious, but I refused to believe them. I've been virtually (I still get anxious but no more than your average Joe) anxiety free now for 10 years,and I'm happy to admit that my doctors were right and I was wrong. All my symptoms were psychosomatic,but they felt real to me. I've had every symptom mentioned on this forum apart from the sore chest and breathing problems. I only suffered for around 12 months,but I'm sure it's because I took drastic action,and got shut of my computer,I'd probably still be suffering today if I relied on Google for my diagnosis. I'm not saying get rid of you computer,but have you ever thought about turning your internet off for a month or two? I also agree with Athol,exercise did me a  world of good. I don't like exercising,but it gave me a few hour relief from my anxiety symptoms.
  • Posted

Anxiety is a very debilitating disease! Physically there is nothing wrong with your throat it's simply an anxiety symptom! I have been on Antidepressants (Seroxat) the worst one for 26 years! & been told I will never come off them, because they have destroyed some neurotransmitters in my brain! I can't work because of my symptoms but on the days I feel okay I try and exercise! Cycling, Running etc, if you feel up to it works wonders! If you wish to ask me any questions I'm here to help! You are not alone😊
    • Posted

Hell fire Chris I knew meds were bad for you but I didn't know they could fry your neurotransmitters. What happens when your neuro's are shot? Don't worry,I no longer suffer from anxiety,and I only took meds for a very short period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.