Expected more at this stage

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am 43 years of age and on 20th Feb had a full left hip replacement. I had a lateral cut and not a cut in the buttock. Day 5 i am finally home but in excrutiating pain to the point i cant even get out of bed. My left leg is very swollen and as such i cant sit in a chair. 

I am told because i am younger the muscles were tighter with more nerve endings. But i am still on serious ammounts of painkillers. I am concerned that if i just sit here it will get worse, but also i physically cannot sit down in a high propper chair,,,,,,,,,i feel trapped and really wish i could be more mobile by now. I am not expecting miracles and i know i am in in for the long haul but this is really deliberating ,,,,,,,Has anybody else experienced this issue at day 5,,,,,,,again i know its early.

Also to note my nurses were getting me out of the wrong side of bed for two days ! with a lateral and with this specific surgeon he insists getting out on your non opperated site,,,,,,just wondering if this has been caused by poor practice?

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi mark,

I really sympathise with you, I'm day 17 now,left THR with lateral incision. I'm 48,I remember day 5 it was hell, had a bit of a meltdown. The first week is really difficult but as the days goes by it does get easier, it's a very slow progress though and everyone heals differently. My leg is still swollen from toe to thigh and I'm still on regular pain killers,although the pain is not as bad as that first week.THe swelling seems to be a little less in the day but worse in the eve, also quite stiff in the mornings. I would definitely start to mobilise a little,it really helps honestly and your feel alot better just getting out of bed for an hour or so. Lots of rest,appetite was pretty poor first week but improved,eating helps the healing process. Ice packs are good too.im sorry to hear your in so much pain but it will get better day by day,stay positive.

Nicky.

• Posted

MARk

Welcome to the real reality of hip replacement .I lost the first week after the op in a haze of awful pain and virtually bed ridden . Every week thereafter gets better but at 20 weeks I am

Not pain free. I am 56 and had strong legs . If you watch the video you may understand as it's called brutal surgery. I am still in painkillers 5 months in . The post operative pain is horrendous and I am still amazed and bewildered by forum members who are up and at it in a few weeks. So no ... there is nothing wrong , it's just from having your leg spliced open, muscles cut, bones sawn off and stitched back up . Please prepare for a long haul , sorry but that is the reality . The arthritic pain goes but the healing pain ... well I am just off to get a painkiller myself !

• Posted

Thanks for all the encouragement and words of advice. Felling brighter today after a full day of rest yesterday. I will resign myself to bed over the weekend with bed exercises and the odd walk along the landing with some more standing up exercises. I will go downstairs when i have built my strength up. One of the main problems with me is that i was used to taking anywhere between 6-8 zapains a day and 500mg of brufen........Now i'm on paracetamol and codine so infact less than before,,,,,,,slowly but surely,,,,,,we all learn and get stronger by the day,,,,,,,ice pack has been a massive help along with elevated leg

• Posted

Hi Mark. I am at day 18 and am 49 years old. Agree... I just wanted the anti inflammatory meds after the op. At your stage I i was on oxynorm, codine, gabapentin and panadoll. Horrible cocktail. It was the ice packs that made the difference... and sleep! Now just on panadoll. Good luck. Each day is better. Slowly slowly. ..
  • Posted

Five days is really early in recovery, which takes a year or so!   Yes really.

Swelling is totally normal, due to the brutal things they have to do to you in the operating theatre.  Muscles and nerves get cut, parted, and generally messed around with, and it all takes a long time to heal.  

As to getting out of the bed, I was told that I should be able to get out either side, and they made me practise both sides before leaving hospital.

Take your time Mark, this can be a long recovery, with many minor setbacks (they don't seem minor at the time though), and an emotional roller coaster of a journey.  Some do have miracle recoveries (one of my friends did), but it's a hard slog for many of us.

I had my THR Oct 2015, and revision Jan 2016 due to mistakes, and still feel I am recovering.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

Hi Mark, sorry to hear you are having proiblems. 

I felt the same as you my first days at home. I had to teach myself to get out of my own bed as the methods used to do this in the hospital bed didn't quiet work.

I given a piece of transfer fabric by the phsio which I cut in to small square to sit on and a slim long peice for the end of the bed to slide my feet across. I sit on the square, push back onto the bed keeping my legs straight and toes taught and pointing upwards.I then slowly use my hands to turn  on the bed so my feet are then on the fabric at  the bottom. When in the right place I can then lay down. A grabber helps to put the covers over me. Do the same in reverse to get up.

If likie me you feel like golf balls have been put under your incision, I can assure you they do go. I'm 13 days post op and it has got a little easier each day,the golf balls have almost gone lol

Hope things get a little easier

regards chrizzy

• Posted

Old plastic carrier bags / bin bags are useful for sliding on in the early days, particularly for getting in/out of a car.

If you find the pressure of a duvet on your toes is too much when laying on your back, use a cushion each side of your feet to support it.

See my website for more tips from hippies on this forum, the address is in my personal info here ...

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and at the bottom of the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃 🤸

• Posted

I shall certainly look at your website Graham, thank you.

I have one pillow at the side of my leg, the only problem is I am tall and it tends to leave my feet open to the elements. I will have to relent and wear bedsocks

regards chrizzy

• Posted

I have just read a little of your website, brilliant information. I will continue to read more later. Another trick to ease the urgency to urinate post op is to drink decaf coffee and tea. Bye bye Tena Ladies x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.