Experience

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I am due to have my gallbladder removed on the 10th september. Im afraid i am very overweight, although I have managed to loose 4 stone, I am still 20 stone!!! I have heard so many horror stories regarding the serious risks for obese patients  having this op and I just wanted to hear anyone else experience of this op or anyone who may be having the same fears as me. 

Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sandra great name lol I was over weight (well I still am) I had my GB removed 3 years ago I also suffer from COPD so I was really scared! but I was fine came out of the anestethtic no problem and went home the following morning. But if I was you ask as many questons as you can about recovery I dont know how old you are but I was 67 and cant excersize so took me a while to get mobile properly. Good Luck love let me know how it goes xxx

• Posted

Hi

Thank you. I am so lucky because my consultant is the most lovely guy so I will ask as many questions as possible. 

Thank you for the response 

• Posted

please do not have it removed. The problems will be same after as  before. Take my advice, stop eating anything with flour. Barley or rye also not. No wheat. You may have potatoes and rice. So you get those carbs. As soon as you stop eating flour (gluten products) you have no more symptoms, concerning gallbladder. I was about to be operated and changed my mind, booked out of hospital and never looked back.

Let me know, regards

• Posted

Hi

I dont have any choice im afraid, I have tried all ways to avoid the op but for me the pain is getting too much to bear anymore. Thank you for response and advice.

• Posted

HI Sandra, Just rememeber they do operations on people far bigger than you for gastric bypass and  bands smile  I was nearly 18 stone when i started with the whole Gb symptoms  and lost nearly 4 stone like you. I havent had mine yet but the way im feeling I cant wait to get on that table and get the thing out. I also had 3 caesareans under general at my biggest so take heart  surgeons are doing this all day long smile
    • Posted

Thanks Jane

I also suffer from OCD so I am a bit of a wreck at the moment. I just wan to wake up and it all to be done so I can get on with my life. Im afraid i have fed into all the horror stories rather than the positive experiences.!!!!!

• Posted

Sandra, I am obese and just had mine removed 2 months ago. I had no issues except some excessive bleeding during a liver biopsy done while they were taking my gallbladder out. But nothing major.

Hope this helps ease your mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.