Experience after 1 year of meniscus arthroscopy surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had been an ardent follower of this porta; until last year when I was supposed to undergo arthroscopy for a tear in discoid medial meniscus. I thought its my moral duty to give it back to this blog about my recovery and experience so that other people might benefit.

Its almost an year after my surgery. As stated, I had a developed a tear in my discoid medial meniscus and carried it for as long as 15 yrs. Last Feb, after a long drive, the pain became so bad that I had to consult a Dr and the MRI revealed that I have a torn meniscus that too a discoid one. Consulted few other doctors and other physio therapists in the hope that even if one says the surgery isn’t needed, I will postpone it. Not even one of those people suggested to not go for the surgery. It took me another 4 months to convince myself to go under the knife.

My surgery was 75 min long procedure under spinal anesthesia and was asked to stay in the ward for the night. The torn and the extra portion was trimmed and 3 Fastfix sutures were implanted in the meniscus.

The next morning I was told to use a walker and a brace for 2 weeks and not bend my knee for those many days. After a follow up 2 weeks later, the knee was allowed to bend by 30 degrees with the brace and after another 4 weeks, the angle was increased to 90 degrees. All this while I was also advised physio which I diligently carried out. The pain from tear went away and what remained was the post operative pain which was subsiding every passing day.

Fast forward to almost an year, today I feel confident and better than I have ever felt. I do trade cautiously though (no unnecessary jumping or running, no kick-starting my motor bike etc) and still doing things to fully strengthen my right leg. Occasionally(2-3 months) I do feel some pain near the spot for 2-3 days but its nothing that is very bothering for me.

I’ve been satisfied with my surgery and recovery and wish all of my friends over here a very happy and speedy recovery.

IMPORTANT TIP: Those who may be planning for a surgery in next few days or weeks, please don't read up over the web. It might further terrify and depress you. Do a research on your Doctor and have good faith on him/her.  

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

That is fantastic, and thank you for sharing it! Good advice about not looking on web for the few weeks running up to surgery! Research is best done in the early days when making decision to have it. There is no replacement for trust and confidence in your surgeon. All the fear tentacles we are start getting over excited in the run up to surgery!
    • Posted

Exactly jenny. I shared this because I have been a victim of internet research where I have only found negative or bad reviews post surgery with only 2-3 good recovery stories scattered far in between. I was so tensed I was unable to sleep well for a week prior to surgery. 

Once the surgery was over, I latched onto web while I was resting, but not on review forums and discussion portals but on NETFLIX smile and enjoyed a well deserved recovery break.

• Posted

Wonderful to read this!  Well done and thank you for posting.  I believe we should go into ops being positive rather than negative.  Yes, it can be harder for some, but on the whole it's the bad stories that you hear about because the good ones don't think to post online and just get on with their lives!

Such good advice about doing research on your doctor!!!!!  We've seen some cases on here recently where people would be better to keep clear of doctors!

• Posted

Exactly chris. People who have had a successful surgery perhaps forget to post their experience leaving only the posts about how someone isn't feeling good after surgery and posting online to find some advice or solace. That was the only reason for my post.

And yes, everything boils down to 2 things: Your doctor's capability & skill in handling such cases AND your trust on the doctor. To buld the latter, you need to research about him on web, his past cases if possible or any press coverage. If you get neither of these, it is still better to have a second or third opinion with some other practitioner and then take a judgement call.

• Posted

I go in for my surgery in two weeks I can't wait after six months of suffering I am so looking forward to a fully straight leg

• Posted

Hi Kerry2806 what surgery are you waiting to have?
    • Posted

Having an arthroscopy I have a bucket tear unfortunately I have been left for 6 months undiagnosed so surgeons have decided to take me in and have a closer look as knee still swollen and have not been able to straighten it since injury in January
    • Posted

Oh right. I've just had a ACL reconstruction & some of my Meniscus removed, after waiting two years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.